Skip to main content

functions - Ted's explanation for the 3rd argument of ListCorrelate doesn't apply to the {1, -1} case?


I was reading Ted Ersek's explanation for the usage of ListCorrelate(.nb version can be found here) and noticed something confusing. It's the third example of Specifying the "overhang" using {$K_L$, $K_R$} section:


enter image description here



You may think that it's a typo at first glance, but the output is really correct. Just try it yourself:


{{a1, a2, a3, a4, 0, 0}, {0, a1, a2, a3, a4, 0}, {0, 0, a1, a2, a3, 
a4}, {a4, 0, 0, a1, a2, a3}, {a3, a4, 0, 0, a1, a2}, {a2, a3, a4,
0, 0, a1}, {a1, a2, a3, a4, 0, 0}, {0, a1, a2, a3, a4, 0}, {0, 0,
a1, a2, a3, a4}}.{{b1}, {b2}, {b3}, {b4}, {b5}, {b6}}
Flatten[%] === ListCorrelate[{a1, a2, a3, a4}, {b1, b2, b3, b4, b5, b6}, {1, -1}]


False


The other 3 examples do follow the statement though.


So Ted's theory is simply incomplete but he didn't notice? Or there's some deeper reason (in compatible changes between versions etc.)?



Answer



The fact that False is on his own web page indicates against this being a change between versions but rather something he failed to notice.


Following his equivalence we also have the last kernel element (a4) in the last place in the third row of the left matrix, an indeed that matches the actual output:


m = NestList[RotateRight, {a1, a2, a3, a4, 0, 0}, 2]


$\left( \begin{array}{cccccc} \text{a1} & \text{a2} & \text{a3} & \text{a4} & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & \text{a1} & \text{a2} & \text{a3} & \text{a4} & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & \text{a1} & \text{a2} & \text{a3} & \text{a4} \\ \end{array} \right)$




ListCorrelate[{a1, a2, a3, a4}, {b1, b2, b3, b4, b5, b6}, {1, -1}]

% === m.{b1, b2, b3, b4, b5, b6}


{a1 b1 + a2 b2 + a3 b3 + a4 b4,
a1 b2 + a2 b3 + a3 b4 + a4 b5,
a1 b3 + a2 b4 + a3 b5 + a4 b6}

True


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...