Skip to main content

front end - some Graphics output do not fully render on the screen until an extra click is made into the notebook


Sometimes when using a command such as Grid and looking at the output, some of the actual lines (frame, gridlines) that make up the display will be missing on the screen (not finished rendering)



After shaking the notebook by holding it with the mouse at the corner and just slightly pulling it to make it little bigger or smaller, the display will now finish rendering and any missing parts of the Graphics will show up.


Forcing full rendering can also be achieved by making one extra click of the mouse once anywhere in the notebook.


The Graphics can also be made to fully render by moving another application window over the Mathematica notebook and then removing that application window again, all the time without touching the notebook.


This might make one think it can be a windows/graphics card/monitor issue? Since it looks like a repaint event is needed by the OS.


Using V9, windows 7 64 bit. Intel hardware. ATI Radeon HD 5570 graphics card. (note: On version 8, the same issue is present hence it is not a version 9 specific)


Using Default_8.nb with version 9.


Here is a small example


Grid[{
{
Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 2 Pi},

AxesLabel -> {"x", "very very loooooooong"},
ImageSize -> {200, 150}, ImagePadding -> {{50, 20}, {40, 30}}]
},
{
Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 2 Pi}, AspectRatio -> 1/3,
AxesLabel -> {"x", "short"}, ImageSize -> {200, 140},
ImagePadding -> {{50, 20}, {40, 30}}]
}
}, Spacings -> {0, 0}, Frame -> All
]


Notice the middle line and the bottom line are missing from the grid. Now Clicking in the code cell once caused it to fully draw. Here is screen shot showing before the click and after the click


enter image description here




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...