Skip to main content

notebooks - How to write documentation in Wolfram Style?


Rather than craft my own stylesheets for documentation, I'd like to emulate (copy? ape? borrow?) the Wolfram style. Here is a very small example (type this in the help-box, which you get by pressing F1)


Quaternions/ref/UnitQuaternionQ

Here is a very large example


ContourPlot3D

I have zero experience creating styles, and I have only the most foggy understanding of how Notebooks work. I have gotten this far: If I scrape over the orange-and-yellow text at the top of the UnitQuaternionQ example, the cell just underneath the heading, then press Command-Shift-E or use the Cell>Show Expression menu item, then I see this magnificent bouillabaisse:


Cell[BoxData[GridBox[{

{"", Cell[TextData[{
Cell[BoxData[
RowBox[{"UnitQuaternionQ", "[",
StyleBox["q", "TI"], "]"}]], "InlineFormula"],
"\[LineSeparator]gives ",
Cell[BoxData[
TemplateBox[{Cell["True"],"paclet:ref/True"},
"RefLink",
BaseStyle->"InlineFormula"]], "InlineFormula"],
" if ",

Cell[BoxData[
StyleBox["q", "TI"]], "InlineFormula"],
" is a unit quaternion and ",
Cell[BoxData[
TemplateBox[{Cell["False"],"paclet:ref/False"},
"RefLink",
BaseStyle->"InlineFormula"]], "InlineFormula"],
" otherwise."
}]]}
}]], "Usage",

GridBoxOptions->{
GridBoxBackground->{
"Columns" -> {{None}}, "ColumnsIndexed" -> {}, "Rows" -> {{None}}, "RowsIndexed" -> {}}},
CellID->16193]

This gives me a lot of clues, but also a large number of things to look up, understand separately, and then piece back together, namely Cell, GridBox, TextData, BoxData, RowBox, StyleBox, TemplateBox, paclets as URIs, and everything they depend on. I also find out that when I paste that expression into a new notebook and do Command-Shift-E, I get errors, most of which imply that there is a missing stylesheet. From this I infer that notebooks have a secret, implicit "style sheet" attribute, but I don't know how to set it or get it in a general way. When my mouse-focus is in the help box, the Format menu does not contain an obvious way for me to snip, copy, borrow, ape, or otherwise access the style sheet.


I tried looking for an author's guide in the documentation, but a few quick searches didn't turn up anything on-point.



Answer



I have put to the test Leonid's second suggestion, ApplicationMaker by jmlopez, I have shared out an extended example here. It's a little library for rotation quaternions and rigid-body dynamics that illustrates the Dzhanybekhov effect. I created it from scratch by straight reading of the documents provided with ApplicationMaker (most of it in a very nice local cigar lounge, but that's another story :) Here are my major findings:


You do NewPackage and get a notebook for writing your package (ApplicationMaker will make the .m file for you from this notebook). Don't get even slightly fancy with usage messages in here! In my first attempt, I tried something as little as setting the arguments for function forms in italics, and it caused a cascade of crap to happen later when I did BuildApplication and DeployApplication. I had to rekeyboard all my ::usage messages because even one stray invisible Italic tag caused massive downstream pain -- missing styles, all kinds of StyleBox noise copied to the reference pages, many more goobers I didn't even look into.



Other than that, it seemed to work well with MMA 9, even though it was written for MMA 8. Huge kudos to jmlopez for working this out. While it's not perfect, it's such a great start that I will certainly use it in the future.


I did not complete the documentation for my sample in the interests of getting this answer out quickly. Another couple of findings (really reminders for me) are:


Proper documentation is a LOT of work. It easily outstrips the effort of writing the code by factors of 2 to 10. Even for my tiny example, it would probably take me several more days to get it to professionally presentable level.


HOWEVER it is very valuable work! The effort of writing documentation and thinking about how someone else would try to understand this tiny library made me improve it by refactoring and redesigning several times. A professionally presentable API isn't even fully DESIGNED before it's DOCUMENTED with a skeptical, third-party audience in mind! Just do it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - Filling between two spheres in SphericalPlot3D

Manipulate[ SphericalPlot3D[{1, 2 - n}, {θ, 0, Pi}, {ϕ, 0, 1.5 Pi}, Mesh -> None, PlotPoints -> 15, PlotRange -> {-2.2, 2.2}], {n, 0, 1}] I cant' seem to be able to make a filling between two spheres. I've already tried the obvious Filling -> {1 -> {2}} but Mathematica doesn't seem to like that option. Is there any easy way around this or ... Answer There is no built-in filling in SphericalPlot3D . One option is to use ParametricPlot3D to draw the surfaces between the two shells: Manipulate[ Show[SphericalPlot3D[{1, 2 - n}, {θ, 0, Pi}, {ϕ, 0, 1.5 Pi}, PlotPoints -> 15, PlotRange -> {-2.2, 2.2}], ParametricPlot3D[{ r {Sin[t] Cos[1.5 Pi], Sin[t] Sin[1.5 Pi], Cos[t]}, r {Sin[t] Cos[0 Pi], Sin[t] Sin[0 Pi], Cos[t]}}, {r, 1, 2 - n}, {t, 0, Pi}, PlotStyle -> Yellow, Mesh -> {2, 15}]], {n, 0, 1}]

plotting - Plot 4D data with color as 4th dimension

I have a list of 4D data (x position, y position, amplitude, wavelength). I want to plot x, y, and amplitude on a 3D plot and have the color of the points correspond to the wavelength. I have seen many examples using functions to define color but my wavelength cannot be expressed by an analytic function. Is there a simple way to do this? Answer Here a another possible way to visualize 4D data: data = Flatten[Table[{x, y, x^2 + y^2, Sin[x - y]}, {x, -Pi, Pi,Pi/10}, {y,-Pi,Pi, Pi/10}], 1]; You can use the function Point along with VertexColors . Now the points are places using the first three elements and the color is determined by the fourth. In this case I used Hue, but you can use whatever you prefer. Graphics3D[ Point[data[[All, 1 ;; 3]], VertexColors -> Hue /@ data[[All, 4]]], Axes -> True, BoxRatios -> {1, 1, 1/GoldenRatio}]

plotting - Mathematica: 3D plot based on combined 2D graphs

I have several sigmoidal fits to 3 different datasets, with mean fit predictions plus the 95% confidence limits (not symmetrical around the mean) and the actual data. I would now like to show these different 2D plots projected in 3D as in but then using proper perspective. In the link here they give some solutions to combine the plots using isometric perspective, but I would like to use proper 3 point perspective. Any thoughts? Also any way to show the mean points per time point for each series plus or minus the standard error on the mean would be cool too, either using points+vertical bars, or using spheres plus tubes. Below are some test data and the fit function I am using. Note that I am working on a logit(proportion) scale and that the final vertical scale is Log10(percentage). (* some test data *) data = Table[Null, {i, 4}]; data[[1]] = {{1, -5.8}, {2, -5.4}, {3, -0.8}, {4, -0.2}, {5, 4.6}, {1, -6.4}, {2, -5.6}, {3, -0.7}, {4, 0.04}, {5, 1.0}, {1, -6.8}, {2, -4.7}, {3, -1.