Skip to main content

How to implement this simple product rule in mathematica




Firstly i have defined a simple function below.


   dotPro[a_, b_] := a[1]*b[1] + a[2]*b[2];

Then i create two terms using the above function.


  t1=dotPro[q,σ];
t2=dotPro[ϵ,σ];

Then i have some rules regarding how these parameters multiply


  r1 = Rule[σ[1]^2, 1];
r2 = Rule[σ[2]^2, 1];

r3 = Rule[σ[1] σ[2], I*σ[3]];
r4 =Rule[σ[2] σ[1], -I*σ[3]];

Now i expand the product


  res = Expand[t1*t2]

Finally i apply the said rules to my expanded terms


  res /. r1 /. r2 /. r3 /. r4

The answer i get is the following



 (q[1] ϵ[1] + q[2] ϵ[2] + I q[2] ϵ[1] σ[3] + I q[1] ϵ[2] σ[3])

What i want to get is this(minus sign)


 q[1] ϵ[1] + q[2] ϵ[2] -I q[2] ϵ[1] σ[3] + I q[1] ϵ[2] σ[3]

I know what the problem is,its related to mathematica assuming commutative product.so at the heart it deals with implementing non-commutative algebra.


So i did find a link to a package here but it was not working and i think this simple thing can be achieved without resort to any packages.


All i want is whenever there is a term with σ[1] σ[2] it should be replaced by I*σ[3] and for σ[2] σ[1] it should be replaced by -I*σ[3]


I tried to achieve it like this,but no success


list = {{1, 1}, {1, 2}, {2, 1}, {2, 2}};

t1[[#[[1]]]]*t2[[#[[2]]]] & /@ list /. r1 /. r2 /. r3 /. r4

Answer



The following code is a quick and dirty solution to your request. The basic idea is to avoid using the usual multiplication and use Dot instead.


dotPro[a_, b_] := a[1].b[1] + a[2].b[2];
dotPro[q, σ].dotPro[ε, σ]
Distribute[%]
% /. {Dot[x___, a_, y___, a_, z___] :> Dot[x, y, z]
, Dot[x___, a_[1], y___, a_[2], z___] :> I Dot[x, y, a[3]]
, Dot[x___, a_[2], y___, a_[1], z___] :> -I Dot[x, y, a[3]]}

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...