Skip to main content

graphics - How do I draw a DensityPlot in polar coordinates?


I am trying to plot $J_m(\chi_{mn} r) \cos(m\phi),$ where $J_m(\chi_{mn}) =0,$ as a DensityPlot in polar coordinates (solution to 2D wave equation in polar coordinates). First, some definitions


besselzero = N@Table[BesselJZero[l, n], {l, 0, 25}, {n, 1, 25}];
bzeros[l_, n_] := besselzero[[l + 1, n]];


for speed purposes.


For the purposes of this question consider $m=3$ (but there's essentially the same problem for any $m$):


DensityPlot[
Cos[3 ArcTan[y/x] ] BesselJ[3, bzeros[3,1]Sqrt[x^2+y^2]],{x,-1,1},{y,-1,1},
Epilog->{Thick,Circle[]},PlotRange->{-1,1},
RegionFunction->Function[{x,y,z},Norm[{x,y}]<1.]]

Mathematica graphics


This is nearly right, except that the sign on the left-hand side ($y<0$) of the plot is wrong (it should not be mirror symmetric around $y=0$, rather continue alternating positive and negative after each $\Delta\phi=\pi/3$).



Looking at the Plot3D of ArcTan[y/x] I realized the cause of the problem was because of how ArcTan is defined, so I tried a workaround:


DensityPlot[
Cos[3 Piecewise[{{0, x > 0 && y == 0}, {Ï€/2,
x == 0 && y > 0}, {(3 π)/2, x == 0 && y < 0}, {(2 π)/2,
x < 0 && y == 0}, {ArcTan[y/x],
x > 0 && y > 0}, {ArcTan[y/x] + π,
x < 0 && y > 0}, {ArcTan[y/x] + π,
x < 0 && y < 0}, {ArcTan[y/x] + 2 π,
x > 0 && y < 0}}] ] BesselJ[3,
bzeros[3, 1] Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]], {x, -1, 1}, {y, -1, 1},

Epilog -> {Thick, Circle[]}, PlotRange -> {-1, 1},
RegionFunction -> Function[{x, y, z}, Norm[{x, y}] < 1.]]

Mathematica graphics


This is nearly right, except for those white regions. Is there a better way to plot functions of this sort?



Answer



Use the two-argument form ArcTan[x, y] instead of ArcTan[y/x]:



ArcTan[x,y] gives the arc tangent of y/x, taking into account which quadrant the point $(x,y)$ is in.




It just works:


enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...