Skip to main content

evaluation - How to NOT simplify fraction


How can I prevent Mathematica from simplifying fractions? What I would like to do is run a test on a list of fractions to see how many are in their reduced form.


For example, I have a list:


1/10, 2/10, 5/10

I do not want Mathematica to treat it as:


1/10, 1/5, 1/2


I would like it left exactly as it was originally entered for comparison, i.e. if one list contains 2/10 and the other list contains 1/5 they should be treated as different elements.


I tried converting the elements to strings but Mathematica still simplified the fractions...


What is the best way to maintain the entire list in the original form?


Something like:


a = {1/10, 2/10, 3/10, 4/10, 5/10};
Internal`RationalNoReduce[Numerator[a], Denominator[a]]

still gives


Internal`RationalNoReduce[{1, 1, 3, 2, 1}, {10, 5, 10, 5, 2}]


Answer



Your expression will be evaluated unless it is entered in a held form, or a form that natively does not evaluate. For example:


a = Hold[1/10, 2/10, 3/10, 4/10, 5/10];

b = {{1,10}, {2,10}, {3,10}, {4,10}, {5,10}};

The second representation is a bit easier to work with as the first, which while not evaluating is nevertheless parsed differently from what you might expect:


a // FullForm



Hold[Times[1, Power[10, -1]], Times[2, Power[10, -1]], Times[3, Power[10, -1]], 
Times[4, Power[10, -1]], Times[5, Power[10, -1]]]

Note that every fraction is not parsed as Rational but as Times and Power.


You can work with either format however. First the easy example (ref: Apply):


GCD @@@ b


{1, 2, 1, 2, 5}


A GCD of one means that the fraction is in reduced form, while any other value means it is not. You could for example Select the fractions that are or are not in reduced form:


Select[b, 1 == GCD @@ # &]


{{1, 10}, {3, 10}}

To work with the first format you could convert it to the second format with:


List @@ (a /. n_*(d_^-1) :> {n, d})



{{1, 10}, {2, 10}, {3, 10}, {4, 10}, {5, 10}}

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...