Skip to main content

programming - Is there anything like a C pointer (or returning a reference) in $Mathematica$?


I want to do in Mathematica what the following does in C.


int array[7] = {0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0};

int& foo(size_t idx)
{
return array[idx];
}


foo(4) = 43;

// array should now be {0, 0, 0, 0, 43, 0, 0}

In other words, I'd like to use = to assign to a reference (to some variable outside the scope of the function) returned by a function.


I did read a few threads about references, but it seemed I'd have to "overload" the = operator (if that's even possible) to make things work.




Background


I wouldn't be surprised if such practice were discouraged in Mathematica, but would still appreciate the knowledge, as well as alternatives. My motivation for this is in trying to write a tool for non-programmers (or those with mostly C backgrounds but completely unfamiliar to Mathematica) for rapid testing of hypotheses, and the tool must be intuitive, familiar, and easy to pick up (else I'm afraid my pitch to use Mathematica wouldn't gain traction). To be more specific, the tool would analyze time-series data, the user specifying an expression to be run per time-step; and that expression would have "access" to a (pseudo-)array, say, price, such that price[0] refers to the current price, price[-1] refers to the previous price, etc.—so price[0] refers to a different price at each timestep. Of course C doesn't allow negative indexing; I just thought it'd be most intuitive that way—so my plan was to implement price as a function, and retrieve values from an array behind-the-scenes. You can probably see already where this is going: I'd also like for users to be able to assign to price[0], and that's where I'm stuck. I know I could (and perhaps should) just write a separate function like set_price[0, val], but this would take away from the aesthetic goal I'm trying to achieve to win everyone over.


I'm open to alternative ideas that may keep aesthetic though not in the same way.




Answer



Have a look at UpValues:


ClearAll[price];
l = ConstantArray[0, 10];
pos = 5;
price[i_] := l[[pos + i]]
price /: (price[i_] = val_) := (l[[pos + i]] = val)

price[0]=-1;
price[{-2,-1,1}]={1,2,3};


l
(* {0, 0, 1, 2, -1, 3, 0, 0, 0, 0} *)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...