Skip to main content

list manipulation - Bad performance of LengthWhile?


The performance of LengthWhile has been improved in v11.1, now the lengthwhile below is no longer faster.




A friend of mine showed me this example, it's a test comparing LengthWhile to a self-made lengthwhile written in a direct and conventional way:


lengthwhile[x_, t_] := Module[{i = 0, l = Length@x}, While[i < l && t@x[[i + 1]], i++]; i]

lst = RandomInteger[{-2, 2}, {10^4, 10}];
rst1 = LengthWhile[#, # >= 0 &] & /@ lst; // AbsoluteTiming

rst2 = lengthwhile[#, # >= 0 &] & /@ lst; // AbsoluteTiming
rst1 == rst2


{3.941000, Null}
{0.474000, Null}
True

LengthWhile is much slower than the reinvented wheel! Why? Simply a bad performance of LengthWhile? Or LengthWhile isn't used in a proper way?



Answer




There are several reasons. Firstly the built-in function has some minor overhead to check the arguments and call the appropriate internal function depending on whether the first argument is a list, a sparse array or an association.


Secondly, with a packed array, LengthWhile uses compilation in an attempt to increase performance. There is some overhead in evaluating Compile, which is especially noticeable for your example with many small lists. (Note that if you do lst2 = Developer`FromPackedArray[lst] the built-in LengthWhile is faster than it is on the packed list.)


Finally, there appears to be a bug in the implementation of the compilation, such that the compiled function calls back to the main evaluator for the predicate function. You can see this by capturing the CompiledFunction from a Trace and examining it with CompilePrint:


Needs["CompiledFunctionTools`"];

CompilePrint @@ Cases[Trace[LengthWhile[lst[[1]], # >= 0 &]], _CompiledFunction, -1, 1]


blah...
7 B2 = MainEvaluate[ Hold[Statistics`TakeWhileDump`predfun$42706][I5]]

blah...

The internal function calling Compile is Statistics`TakeWhileDump`findLastPosition. It appears that the predicate function is not being inlined as we would desire (despite "InlineExternalDefinitions" being used). I'm not sure what the rules are about inlining external definitions, so I'm not sure if this is due to a change in Compile or bad code in Statistics`TakeWhileDump`findLastPosition.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?