Skip to main content

differential equations - Solving PDE involving Hilbert transform numerically


I'm trying to solve the following equation numerically:


$$u_{tt}-\mathcal{H}(u_x)=A^2_{xx},$$



where $\mathcal{H}$ is the Hilbert transform and $A$ is a prescribed forcing function which we assume takes the form $A(x,t)=f(x)\delta(t)$ for $\delta(t)$ the Dirac delta function. Note, the Hilbert transform is defined as


$$\mathcal{H}(u)(x)=\frac{1}{\pi}P.V. \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{u(x')}{x-x'}dx'.$$


Finally, I would like to invoke a causality condition, such that for $t<0$, $u=0$.


Currently, I am trying to implement, for example,


NDSolve[{-(D[Convolve[u[t, xp], xp^(-1), xp, x, PrincipalValue -> True], x]/Pi) + 
Derivative[2, 0][u][t, x] == -2*Sech[50*(-1 + t)]*Sech[x]^2*Tanh[x], u[0, x] == 0,
Derivative[1, 0][u][0, x] == 0, u[t, -10] == u[t, 10]}, u, {t, 0, 10}, {x, -10, 10}]

And Mathematica tells me


NDSolve::delpde: Delay partial differential equations are not currently supported by NDSolve.


Are there any work arounds for this? I am using Mathematica 7.



Answer



As I pointed out in a comment above, this problem can be solved by performing a Fourier Transform in x, solving the resulting ODE, and transforming back. The Fourier Transform of a Hilbert Transform is given by - I Sign[k] v[k], and the Fourier Transform of D[u[x],x] is I k v[k], where v is the Fourier Transform of u. Additionally, the Fourier Transform of the inhomogeneous term in the equation is


g = FourierTransform[Sech[x]^2*Tanh[x], x, k]
(* 1/2 I k^2 Sqrt[π/2] Csch[(k π)/2] *)

The resulting equation can be solved by


sol = FullSimplify[DSolveValue[{Derivative[2][v][t] + Abs[k] v[t] == 
-2*Sech[50*(-1 + t)] g, v[0] == 0, Derivative[1][v][0] == 0}, v[t], t]]

(* (E^(-50 - I t Sqrt[Abs[k]]) k^2 Sqrt[π/2] Csch[(k π)/2] (E^(2 I t Sqrt[ Abs[k]])
(50 + I Sqrt[Abs[k]]) Hypergeometric2F1[1, 1/2 - 1/100 I Sqrt[Abs[k]],
3/2 - 1/100 I Sqrt[Abs[k]], -(1/E^100)] - I E^(t (50 + I Sqrt[Abs[k]]))
(-50 I + Sqrt[Abs[k]]) Hypergeometric2F1[1, 1/2 - 1/100 I Sqrt[Abs[k]],
3/2 - 1/100 I Sqrt[Abs[k]], -E^(100 (-1 + t))] + I (50 I + Sqrt[Abs[k]])
(Hypergeometric2F1[1, 1/2 +1/100 I Sqrt[Abs[k]], 3/2 + 1/100 I Sqrt[Abs[k]], -(1/E^100)]
- E^(t (50 + I Sqrt[Abs[k]])) Hypergeometric2F1[1, 1/2 + 1/100 I Sqrt[Abs[k]],
3/2 + 1/100 I Sqrt[Abs[k]], -E^(100 (-1 + t))])))/(Sqrt[Abs[k]] (2500 + Abs[k])) *)

Not surprisingly, InverseFourierTransform cannot invert this expression. It can, of course, be inverted numerically. A typical plot of the expression is



Plot[Evaluate[ReIm[sol /. t -> 10]], {k, -6, 6}, PlotRange -> All]

enter image description here


The real part is essentially zero (because the source term in the ODE is so narrow in time), and the imaginary part is antisymmetric. Hence, a numerical sine transform can be used to invert expression. For instance,


Quiet@Table[NIntegrate[-2 Im[sol] Sin[k x]/Sqrt[2 Pi], {k, 0, 10}], {t, 2, 18, 8}, 
{x, 0, 20, .2}];
ListLinePlot[%, DataRange -> {0, 20}, PlotRange -> All, AxesLabel -> {x, u}]

enter image description here


u[x] spreads and increasingly oscillates as t increases.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...