Skip to main content

plotting - 3D heatmap density plot


I have a set of data that looks like {{x1, y1, z1}, {x2, y2, z2}, ...} so it describes points in 3D space. I want to make a heatmap out of this data. So that points with a high density are shown as a cloud and marked with different colors dependend of the density.


In fact, I want the result of this script just for 3D:


data = RandomReal[1, {100, 2}];
SmoothDensityHistogram[data, 0.02, "PDF", ColorFunction -> "Rainbow", Mesh -> 0]


enter image description here



Answer



If you want to plot a distribution that is three dimensional then first you need to form it! SmoothDensityHistogram plots a smooth kernel histogram of the values $\{x_i,y_i\}$ but as we have three dimensional data here we need the function called SmoothKernelDistribution!


data = RandomReal[1, {1000, 3}];
dist = SmoothKernelDistribution[data];

Now you have got the probability distribution with three variables. So we can simply plot the PDF as a 3d contour plot using ContourPlot3D. Keep in mind that this function is reputed to be little slow.


ContourPlot3D[Evaluate@PDF[dist, {x, y, z}], {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2}, {z, -2, 2}, 
PlotRange -> All, Mesh -> None, MaxRecursion -> 0, PlotPoints -> 160,
ContourStyle -> Opacity[0.45], Mesh -> None,

ColorFunction -> Function[{x, y, z, f}, ColorData["Rainbow"][z]],
AxesLabel -> {x, y, z}]

enter image description here


To cut through the contours I used the option!


RegionFunction -> Function[{x, y, z}, x < z || z > y]

In order to check that the data points density is responsible for the shape of the contours we can use Graphics3D


pic = Graphics3D[{ColorData["DarkRainbow"][#[[3]]],
PointSize -> Large, Point[#]} & /@ data, Boxed -> False];

Show[con, pic]

enter image description here


BR


EDIT


To follow up on the 2D example and get warm colours for higher densities


 data = RandomReal[1, {500, 3}];
dist = SmoothKernelDistribution[data];
ContourPlot3D[Evaluate@PDF[dist, {x, y, z}], {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2},
{z, -2, 2},PlotRange -> All, Mesh -> None, MaxRecursion -> 0, PlotPoints -> 150,

ContourStyle -> Opacity[0.45], Contours -> 5, Mesh -> None,
ColorFunction -> Function[{x, y, z, f}, ColorData["Rainbow"][f/Max[data]]],
AxesLabel -> {x, y, z},
RegionFunction -> Function[{x, y, z}, x < z || z > y]]

Mathematica graphics


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...