Skip to main content

Splitting a list into two lists each containing a range of elements from the initial one


If I had a list of let's say 20 elements, how could I split it into two separate lists that contain every other 5 elements of the initial list?


For example:


list={1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20}
function[list]
(*

{1,2,3,4,5,11,12,13,14,15}
{6,7,8,9,10,16,17,18,19,20}
*)

Follow-up question:


Thanks to the numerous answers! Is there a way to revert this process? Say we start from two lists and I would like to end up with the listabove:


list1={1,2,3,4,5,11,12,13,14,15}
list2={6,7,8,9,10,16,17,18,19,20}
function[list1,list2]
(*

{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20}
*)

Answer



ClearAll[f1, f2]
f1[lst_, k_] := Join @@ Partition[lst[[# ;;]], k, 2 k, 1, {}] & /@ {1, k + 1}

{list1, list2} = f1[list, 5]


{{1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15},

{6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20}}



An alternative way using the (still undocumented) 6th argument of Partition:


ClearAll[f1, f2]
f2[lst_, k_] := Partition[Drop[lst, #], k, 2 k, 1, {}, Sequence] & /@ {0, k}

{list1, list2} = f2[list, 5]


{{1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15},

{6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20}}



Update: To revert the process:


ClearAll[fb]
fb[lst1_, lst2_, k_] := Join @@ Riffle @@ (Partition[#, k, k, 1, {}] & /@ {lst1, lst2})

fb[list1, list2, 5]


{1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20}




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...