Skip to main content

differential equations - Having trouble using WhenEvent with NDSolve


First of all, this is my first time on this forum. Please be patient with me because if I make some mistakes in this post. I'm not used to doing this!


I'm trying to modify a parameter during NDSolve iterations. I tried to follow advice given in the following exchanges:



But none of it seems to fit my problem. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong.


Here is my problem:


I'm currently trying to create a model with the following differential equations:


dEc = p1*Ec[t]*(1 - (Ec[t]/Emax)) - d1*Ec[t] - i1*Ic[t]*Ec[t];
dIc = i1*Ic[t]*Ec[t] - u1*Ic[t];

dVp = ist*b1*u1*Ic[t] - c1*Vp[t];

The parameters are defined as following:


parameters = 
{Emax -> 10000, p1 -> 0.6, d1 -> 0.003, u1 -> 0.33, c1 -> 10,
b1 -> 6000, i1 -> 0.0000002, ist -> 0.0001};

Then, I'm doing the following NDSolve:


dynamicsmodel = 
NDSolve[

Evaluate[
{Ec'[t] == dEc, Ic'[t] == dIc, Vp'[t] == dVp,
Ec[0] == 10000, Ic[0] == 0, Vp[0] == 10}] /. parameters,
{Ec[t], Ic[t], Vp[t]},
{t, 0, 300}]

It seems to work perfectly. But I would like to add an event listener that would change the ist parameter when t >= 200. To do so, I tried with the following code:


dynamicsmodel = 
NDSolve[
Evaluate[

{Ec'[t] == dEc, Ic'[t] == dIc, Vp'[t] == dVp,
Ec[0] == 10000, Ic[0] == 0, Vp[0] == 10}] /. parameters,
WhenEvent[t >= 200, parameters[[8]] = ist -> 0.01],
{Ec[t], Ic[t], Vp[t]},
{t, 0, 300}]

But it doesn't seem to work! I get the following error:



To avoid possible ambiguity, the arguments of the dependent variable in WhenEvent[t >= 200, parameters[[8]] = ist -> 0.01] should literally match the independent variables."




I may have misplaced the WhenEvent. I tried to put it inside of the Evaluate expression, but that produces errors.


Please note that I simplified the code to make it more readable. I hope I didn't introduce errors.



Answer



I believe you need to take ist out of parameters and make it a DiscreteVariable in the NDSolve. This seems to work:


dEc := p1*Ec[t]*(1 - (Ec[t]/Emax)) - d1*Ec[t] - i1*Ic[t]*Ec[t];
dIc := i1*Ic[t]*Ec[t] - u1*Ic[t];
dVp := ist[t]*b1*u1*Ic[t] - c1*Vp[t];

parameters = {Emax -> 10000, p1 -> 0.6, d1 -> 0.003, u1 -> 0.33, c1 -> 10, b1 -> 6000, i1 -> 0.0000002};


dynamicsmodel = NDSolve[{
Ec'[t] == dEc, Ic'[t] == dIc, Vp'[t] == dVp,
Ec[0] == 10000, Ic[0] == 0, Vp[0] == 10, ist[0] == 0.0001,
WhenEvent[t == 200, ist[t] -> 0.01]} /. parameters,
{Ec, Ic, Vp, ist}, {t, 0, 300}, DiscreteVariables -> {ist}][[1]];

GraphicsGrid[{{
Plot[Evaluate[Ec[t] /. dynamicsmodel], {t, 0, 300}, PlotRange -> All, PlotLabel -> Ec],
Plot[Evaluate[Ic[t] /. dynamicsmodel], {t, 0, 300}, PlotRange -> All, PlotLabel -> Ic]},
{Plot[Evaluate[Vp[t] /. dynamicsmodel], {t, 0, 300}, PlotRange -> All, PlotLabel -> Vp],

Plot[Evaluate[ist[t] /. dynamicsmodel], {t, 0, 300}, PlotRange -> All, PlotLabel -> ist]
}}, ImageSize -> 600]

Mathematica graphics


Kind of underwhelming though -- maybe different parameters would be more interesting!


As a side note, I like to omit the [t] in the list of dependent variables.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...