Skip to main content

parsing - FullForm with context for each symbol?


FullForm strips the context for any symbol that can be found on the Append[$ContextPath, $Context]: FullForm[System`List] is displayed List, but I would like to get System`List for debugging and learning purposes.


I tried $ContextPath = {} but then the whole front-end stops working [1].


Is there another way besides


Hold[...] /. x_Symbol :> (Context@x <> SymbolName@Unevaluated@x)

Is there any case where this would not work?





[1] I find it strange that the internal code of the FrontEnd relies on the "usability features" $Context and $ContextPath. Why doesn't it use the full symbol names for any code it uses (or produces)? IMO $ContextPath = {} should hurt you (having to type the full name of any symbols not in $Context), but not the system. If it really needs System` to operate properly, it should not allow setting $ContextPath = {} just like it is not allowed to set $Context to something invalid.


[2] Note that Context has HoldFirst while SymbolName doesn't, hence the Unevaluated.



Answer





  1. To not mess with $ContextPath you can Block it just for that evaluation. e.g. Block[{$ContextPath = {}}, ...].


    But we don't want to do that for the evaluation, input for FullForm should be evaluated freely and only the result should be returned with full symbols' names.


    To achieve that you should know:





  2. $ContextPath and $Context affect the typesetting. MakeBoxes will strip those contexts from an evaluated FullForm.




So, to deal with 2 we have to perform MakeBoxes on our rules (local contexts values) and order that to not be touched by MakeBoxes anymore (RawBoxes):


Block[{$ContextPath = {}, $Context = "other`"}
,
RawBoxes @ ToBoxes @ FullForm @ {x, 1}
]



System`List[Global`x,1]

It is very convenient when we want to "toggle a visibility" of specific contexts:


Block[{$ContextPath = {"System`"}, ...


 List[Global`x,1]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...