Skip to main content

graphics3d - Plotting Semi-hollow spheres



I wish to create a nice data representation of three nested spherical sections, with a cut away so they can be viewed. As a MWE, something like;


a = SphericalPlot3D[{1}, {θ, 0, Pi}, {ϕ, 0, 4 Pi/2}, 
PlotStyle -> Directive[Blue, Opacity[0.7], Specularity[White, 20]],
Mesh -> None, PlotPoints -> 40];


b = SphericalPlot3D[{2}, {θ, 0, Pi}, {ϕ, 0, 3 Pi/2},
PlotStyle -> Directive[Red, Opacity[0.7], Specularity[White, 20]],
Mesh -> {{0}, {0}, {0}}, PlotPoints -> 40];

c = SphericalPlot3D[{3}, {θ, 0, Pi}, {ϕ, 0, 3 Pi/2},
PlotStyle ->
Directive[Green, Opacity[0.7], Specularity[White, 20]],
Mesh -> {{0}, {0}, {0}}, PlotPoints -> 40];

abc = Show[a, b, c, PlotRange -> Automatic]


This gives me the following image, after some rotation for clarity;


Nested spheres


This is kind of the idea, but the problem is that this displays as spherical surfaces at r = 1, r = 2 and r = 3. In reality, there is a thick spherical shell (let's say a red one) for $1 \leq r \leq 2$ and a thick spherical shell (a green one) at $2 \leq r \leq 3$. The spherical core at $r \leq 1$ is solid blue. Is there a nice way to make this image? I was hoping I could somehow modify the $r$ term in the SphericalPlot3D function to do this.


I could also like to add a vertical line running through the sphere centre (z = 0) to make the image clearer. Any ideas?


Thanks



Answer



SetOptions[{SphericalPlot3D, ParametricPlot3D}, Mesh -> None];

fun = {r {0, -Sin[t], Cos[t]}, r {Sin[t], 0, Cos[t]}};


p1 = SphericalPlot3D[{2, 2.5},
{u, 0, Pi}, {v, 0, 1.5 Pi},
PlotStyle -> Directive[Green, Opacity[0.7], Specularity[White, 20]]];

p2 = ParametricPlot3D[fun,
{r, 2, 2.5}, {t, 0, Pi},
PlotStyle -> Directive[Green, Opacity[0.7], Specularity[White, 20]]];

p3 = SphericalPlot3D[{1.5, 1.99},

{u, 0, Pi}, {v, 0, 1.5 Pi},
PlotStyle -> Directive[Red, Opacity[0.7], Specularity[White, 20]]];

p4 = ParametricPlot3D[fun,
{r, 1.5, 1.99}, {t, 0, Pi},
PlotStyle -> Directive[Red, Opacity[0.7], Specularity[White, 20]]];

p5 = SphericalPlot3D[{1, 1.48},
{u, 0, Pi}, {v, 0, 2 Pi},
PlotStyle -> Directive[Blue, Opacity[0.7], Specularity[White, 20]]];


Show[p1, p2, p3, p4, p5, PlotRange -> All]

enter image description here


Show[p1, p2, p3, p4, p5, PlotRange -> All, ViewPoint -> Front]

enter image description here


Edit


With the new V10 function ClipPlanes you can easily slice your graphics:


Grid[

{{
Show[p1, p2, p3, p4, p5, ClipPlanes -> {{-1, 1, 0, 1}}, ImageSize -> 400],
Show[p1, p2, p3, p4, p5, ClipPlanes -> {{0, 0, -1, 0}}, ImageSize -> 400]
}}]

enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...