Skip to main content

performance tuning - Adding three integer sparse matrices is very slow. Adding only two is fast


Bug introduced in 9.0.0 and fixed in 10.0.0




Adding more than two sparse matrices in one step in Mathematica 9 is very slow (in fact I couldn't even wait for it to finish).


Here's an example. Let's generate a large sparse matrix:


am = AdjacencyMatrix@RandomGraph[{25000, 50000}];

am + am; // Timing (* very fast *)

(am + am) + am; // Timing (* very fast *)


am + am + am; // Timing (* so slow I didn't wait for it to finish *)

Can anyone reproduce this? I used Mathematica 9.0.0 on OS X. Mathematica 8 does not have this problem.


Does anyone have any ideas what may be going wrong here?



Answer



I have reported this as a bug. Having said that, here is some more info:


Note that when you use:


am = AdjacencyMatrix@RandomGraph[{25000, 50000}];//N


you do not see the issue. So this is only an integer sparse array issue. What happened until V8 internally is that there is a loop for adding each sparse array as a binary operation. E.g. something like:


res = Plus[Plus[sp1,sp2],sp3]

In version 9 this has been changed to use var args. In essence what you do with using parentheses is to enforce the old behavior. The reason this was changed is that the var args form of the code is faster and uses less memory:


am = (AdjacencyMatrix@RandomGraph[{2500, 5000}]) // N;
MaxMemoryUsed[am + am; // Timing] (*very fast*)
MaxMemoryUsed[(am + am) + am; // Timing] (*very fast*)
MaxMemoryUsed[
am + am + am; // Timing] (*so slow I didn't wait for it to finish*)


So for now you can either convert with N if that is possible, or use the parentheses.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...