Skip to main content

calculus and analysis - Integrate Squared Legendre Polynomial


With the same purpose as this question, I wish to evaluate an integral that contains the squared Legendre Polynomials.


$\int_{-1}^{1}\left[P_n(x)\right]^2dx=\frac{2}{2n+1}$


I tried evaluating with no success: Assuming[{$n$$\in$Integers,n$\geq$0},$\int_{-1}^{1}$LegendreP[n,x]$^2$dx]


Assuming[{Element[n, Integers], n >= 0}, 
Integrate[LegendreP[n, x]^2, {x, -1, 1}]]

It seems odd that Mathematica wouldn't natively consider doing this, because Wolfram has specified the relationship on mathworld.wolfram.com - See Eqn(28).


I am not familiar with the backend processes of Mathematica, however I would expect a check to be performed when integrating with Legendre Polynomials.


Why is this not the case, and is there any alternative for an algebraic solution?



Edit: Example


An example of where this may be used is in solving an ODE that is a Sturm-Liouville System, and is very close in relation to the Legendre DE:


$([1-x^2]u')' + \mu \rho(x) u = f(x)$


Both when $\mu=\lambda_n$ and $\mu\neq\lambda_n$ for some n, the solution for u(x) will involve series coefficients $\gamma_n$: $\gamma_n = \frac{\int_{-1}^{1}f(x) u_n(x)dx}{\int_{-1}^{1}\rho(x)u_n(x)^2dx}$


Here for the Legendre SL system we know there are eigenfunctions $u_n = $ LegendreP[n,x]. The evaluation I considered will be used in the denominator when calculating such series coefficients.



Answer



Generate a sequence using Table then use FindSequenceFunction to find the general form


f[n_] = FindSequenceFunction[
Table[Integrate[LegendreP[n, x]^2, {x, -1, 1}], {n, 10}], n]


(* 2/(1 + 2 n) *)

Checking outside the original range


f[n] == Integrate[
LegendreP[n, x]^2, {x, -1, 1}] /. {{n -> 20}, {n -> 50}}

(* {True, True} *)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...