Skip to main content

computational geometry - MeshRefinementFunction missing points


I'm doing some FEM on a rectangular region with a spherical cavity:


myRegion = ImplicitRegion[X^2 + Y^2 + (Z - 1.05)^2 >= 1, {{X, 0, 1.5},{Y,0,1.5}, {Z, 0, 1.05}}];
RegionPlot3D[myRegion, Boxed -> False]

My region



The most important part of the region is that in the bottom right (where the cavity is nearly reaching the bottom), so I'd like to selectively refine in that region. I do this with a function that refines when the mesh points are close to the z-axis:


Needs["NDSolve`FEM`"]
meshRefine = Function[{vertices, volume}, Block[{x, y, z}, {x, y, z} = Mean[vertices]; If[Sqrt[x^2 + y^2] <= 0.5, volume > 0.000005, False]]];

Now for the mesh. I have found that "ImproveBoundaryPosition" is necessary for applying boundary conditions to NDSolve, and that applying DiscretizeRegion before ToElementMesh avoids a "femimq: The element mesh has insufficient quality..." error.


myMesh=ToElementMesh[DiscretizeRegion@myRegion, "ImproveBoundaryPosition" -> True,MeshRefinementFunction -> meshRefine];
myMesh["Wireframe"["MeshElementStyle" -> FaceForm[White]]]

These two images show the result with and without the refinement function (from below):


Before and After Mesh





As you can see, the MeshRefinementFunction gets some (but not all) of the points near the thinnest part. It seems that when the initial mesh connects the spherical boundary to the bottom, MeshRefinementFunction does not apply. Any ideas for a better way to refine that region? Thanks in advance.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...