Skip to main content

programming - How to correct my code for solving the Josephus problem?


Problem Description


Recently, I have been reading the book Schaum's Outline of Mathematica (2nd Edition), where I encountered the problem:




Flavius Josephus was a Jewish historian of the first century. He wrote about a group of ten Jews in a cave who, rather than surrender to the Romans, chose to commit suicide, one by one. They formed a circle and every other one was killed. Who was the lone survivor?



The author's solution:


list = Range[10];
While[Length[list] > 1, list = Rest[RotateLeft[list]]];
list


{5}




However, I know it is not efficient to use the procedural methods such as Do, While, etc. Rather, I want to use a functional method like NestWhile, Nest, or FixedPoint to solve the problem.


My solutions:


Method 1:


list = Range @ 10; 
NestList[Rest @ RotateLeft[#] &, list, 9]


 {{1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10}, 
{3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 1},

{5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 1, 3},
{7, 8, 9, 10, 1, 3, 5},
{9, 10, 1, 3, 5, 7},
{1, 3, 5, 7, 9},
{5, 7, 9, 1},
{9, 1, 5},
{5, 9},
{5}}

Furthermore, this method has the flaw that I must give the number of iterations. In fact, sometimes that is unknown.



Method 2:


list = Range @10;
FixedPoint[If[Length@# != 1 &, Rest @ RotateLeft[#] &], list]

Unfortunately, method 2 doesn't work.


Method 3:


 list = Range @ 10;
NestWhileList[Rest @ RotateLeft[#] &, list, Length@list != 1]



{{1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10}}

So my question is: what is a good way to do it?



Answer



NestWhile[Rest @ RotateLeft @ # &, Range @ 10, Length @ # > 1 &]


{5}



FixedPoint[If[Length @ # > 1, Rest @ RotateLeft[#], #] &, Range @ 10]


Edit


Historical note: As far as I can remember, Josephus roulette (a plain treason to his companions) consisted of killing every third person.


FixedPoint[If[Length@# != 1, Rest@RotateLeft[#, 2], #] &, Range@10]


{4}



Note: The direction is important. RotateRight[] will select another victim.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...