Skip to main content

plotting - Plot a vector valued function of two variables using color density


I have a vector (3D) valued function of two variables. I want to visualize it as a density plot, using R,G,B color values to display the value at the point (x,y). I've come up with a couple of attempts, neither satisfactory. One is to use a Raster, but that doesn't adapt to the function and so needs too many function evaluations. My other solution is to make three contour plots and combine them, but to do that I needed to use Opacity and then the range of colors is muted.


Here's an example, with a simple function:


f[x_, y_] := {x, y, x + y}
Table[
DensityPlot[f[x, y][[i]], {x, -1, 1}, {y, -1, 1},
ColorFunction -> (ReplacePart[RGBColor[0,0,0], i -> #] &)],

{i, 3}]
Show[Table[
DensityPlot[f[x, y][[i]], {x, -1, 1}, {y, -1, 1},
ColorFunction -> ({Opacity[1/3], ReplacePart[RGBColor[0,0,0], i -> #]} &)],
{i, 3}]]

The first table shows three DensityPlots with the RGB components I want, which look like this:


rgb component images


The Show combines them into one. But what I really want to do is add the color values in the three plots, and Show with Opacity averages them, giving a murky image. In this example, I want white in the upper right, black in the lower left.



Answer




Is this what you are after?


ParametricPlot[{x, y}, {x, -1, 1}, {y, -1, 1}, Mesh -> None, Frame -> True, Axes -> False,
ColorFunction -> (RGBColor[#, #2, # + #2] &), ColorFunctionScaling -> False]

enter image description here


or maybe, as Rasher has suggested:


ParametricPlot[{x, y}, {x, -1, 1}, {y, -1, 1}, Mesh -> None, Frame -> True, Axes -> False, 
ColorFunction -> (Rescale[#, {-1, 1}] & /@ RGBColor[#, #2, # + #2] &),
ColorFunctionScaling -> False]


enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...