Skip to main content

evaluation - How do I get Mathematica to return a function call unevaluated?


How do I get Mathematica to return a function call (conditionally) unevaluated? I expect this may use the slightly-mysterious Hold function.


As a toy example, suppose I want to define AlgebraicQ such that AlgebraicQ[x] returns True or False when Element[x, Algebraics] evaluates to True or False, but otherwise to returns AlgebraicQ[x], just like the other predicate functions do. (I can't just ask if Element[x, Algebraics] == True, because this is itself unevaluated.)


Edit: The first thing that came to mind didn't work, as you can see: With the definition AlgebraicQ(a_) := Element(a, Algebraics), the function AlgebraicQ[Pi+E] returns Element(E+Pi, Algebraics) instead of the desired AlgebraicQ(Pi+E). Parens used in place of brackets because of platform limitations.


I had tried this before posting, but on a recommendation I tried again with a fresh kernel (pictured above) with the same results. I also tried


AlgebraicQ[a_] := True /; Element[x, Algebraics]
AlgebraicQ[a_] := False /; ! Element[x, Algebraics]

based on an earlier suggestion but this seems not to work at all.






based on Szabolcs' answer:


AlgebraicQ[a_] := With[{result = Element[a, Algebraics]},
result /; MatchQ[result, True | False]]

which tests as expected:



AlgebraicQ /@ {7, Pi, Pi + E}


Out[2]= {True, False, AlgebraicQ[E + Pi]}





Answer



Here's how this can be done:


ClearAll[algebraicQ]
algebraicQ[x_] := Module[{result},
result = Element[x, Algebraics];
result /; MatchQ[result, True | False]]

The key to these types of problems is usually a special use of Condition inside Block/Module/With which allows sharing localized variables between the condition and the body of Module.





At this point I should note that the convention seems to be that any function that ends in ...Q will always return either True or False. Consider EvenQ vs Positive. EvenQ[x], with x undefined, gives False. Positive[x] stays unevaluated. I know of only a very few edge cases which don't follow this. Naming this algebraicQ would violate that convention.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?