Skip to main content

pattern matching - Find zero crossing in a list



I'm looking for a function that finds the index of the zero-crossing points of a list. Before I go making my own subroutine to do this, I was wondering if anyone knows of any built-in Mathematica function for it.


Example of what I want:


list = {-2,-1,0,1,2,3,4,3,1,-2,-4,8,9,10};
ZeroCrossing[list] returns: {3,10,12}

Thanks,


EDIT:


Per whuber's suggestion, I'm adding my findings to the initial question, instead of just in a solution.


I've checked LabVIEW (the other language I know well), and it considers "Bounces" ({1,0,2}, {-2,0,1}) and duplicates ({1,0,0,2}) to be zero-crossings. It outputs a T/F value for each array index.


Example:



ZeroCrossing[{1,0,2}]
(* Returns: {F,T,T} *)
ZeroCrossing[{1,0,0,2,3}]
(* Returns: {F,T,T,T,F} *)

Answer



There are different kinds of zero crossings:



  • ..., -1, 1, ... is a crossing between two values

  • ..., -1, 0, 1, ... is a crossing at a zero

  • ..., -1, 0, 0, ..., 0, 1, ... is a crossing for a range of zeros



and non zero crossings:



  • ..., -1, 0, -1, ... is not a (transverse) crossing at all

  • ..., -1, 0, 0, ..., 0, -1, ... is not a crossing either

  • 0, 0, ..., 1, ... is not a crossing

  • ..., 1, 0, 0, ..., 0 is not a crossing.


Thus, the output ought not to be just a single index for each crossing, but an interval of indexes. E.g., for {-2,-1,0,1,2,3,4,3,1,-2,-4,8,9,10} the output should be the set of ranges {2,4}, {9,10}, and {11,12}. From those you can select a unique value for the crossing if you must. (The mid-range of each would be a good choice, giving {3, 9.5, 11.5} instead of {3, 10, 12}.)


The procedure to find these intervals is not difficult or inefficient, but it might seem a little tricky, so the following code breaks it into simple steps and saves each step for inspection.



zeroCrossings[l_List] := Module[{t, u, v},
t = {Sign[l], Range[Length[l]]} // Transpose; (* List of -1, 0, 1 only *)
u = Select[t, First[#] != 0 &]; (* Ignore zeros *)
v = SplitBy[u, First]; (* Group into runs of + and - values *)
{Most[Max[#[[All, 2]]] & /@ v], Rest[Min[#[[All, 2]]] & /@ v]} // Transpose
]

Example


zeroCrossings[l = {0, -1, 1, -2, 0, 0, -1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 1, 0, 2, -1, -3, 0, 0}]



{{2, 3}, {3, 4}, {7, 11}, {15, 16}}



This approach has a laudable symmetry: when the list is presented in reverse, we obtain exactly the same set of zero crossings (which is not the case for the example in the question):


Reverse /@ Reverse[Map[Length[l] + 1 - # &, zeroCrossings[Reverse[l]], {2}]]


{{2, 3}, {3, 4}, {7, 11}, {15, 16}}



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...