Skip to main content

Overlay alignment


Borrowing triangularArrayLayout from here, I have:


triangularArrayLayout[triArray_List, opts___] := 

Module[{n = Length[triArray]},
Graphics[MapIndexed[
Text[Style[#1,
Large], {Sqrt[3] (n - 1 + #2.{-1, 2}), 3 (n - First[#2] + 1)}/
2] &, triArray, {2}], opts]]

n = 6;
s = 500;
coeffs = triangularArrayLayout[Table[Row[{"C(", i, ",", j, ")"}], {i, 0, n}, {j, 0, i}],
ImageSize -> s];

tri = triangularArrayLayout[Table[Binomial[i, j], {i, 0, n}, {j, 0, i}],
ImageSize -> s];
layers = {Overlay[{coeffs, Show[tri, TextStyle -> GrayLevel[.8]]}, Alignment -> Top],
Overlay[{tri, Show[coeffs, TextStyle -> GrayLevel[.8]]}, Alignment -> Top]};

Manipulate[layers[[u]], {{u, 1, " "}, {1 -> "binomial coefficients",
2 -> "Pascal's triangle"}}, ControlType -> RadioButtonBar]

but the vertical alignment is off:


Mathematica graphics Mathematica graphics



This is the main issue, but I am also curious how to:



  1. typeset the $C(n,r)$ as TraditionalForm (with the varying $n$ and $r$ values throughout)

  2. typeset the $C(n,r)$ as $_{n}C_{r}$ (also with the varying $n$ and $r$ values).



Answer




  • Using the same option ImagePadding->k in both coeff and tri fixes the vertical alignment problem.

  • C is a protected symbol (it is used for representing constants generated in symbolic computations.) Instead you can use \[ScriptCapitalC]:



Then


TraditionalForm[\[ScriptCapitalC][n,r]] 

gives


enter image description here


and


 TraditionalForm[\[ScriptCapitalC][9,3]]

gives


enter image description here




  • For typsetting C(n,r) as $_{n}C_{r}$


you can use


nCr /: MakeBoxes[nCr[n_, r_], StandardForm] :=
RowBox[{SubscriptBox["\[InvisiblePrefixScriptBase]", MakeBoxes[n, StandardForm]],
SubscriptBox["C", MakeBoxes[r, StandardForm]]}]

With


 nCr[3, 2]


you get


enter image description here


and


TraditionalForm[nCr[3, 2]]

gives


enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...