Skip to main content

Accesing keys based on position in an association


I would like to have the following simple function GetKey[] on a very large association.


(* The actual Association is very large, this is just small example *) 
assoc = <|{1,1} -> 2, {1,2} -> 3, {2,1}->4, {2,2}->5|>;
GetKey[assoc, 1]
GetKey[assoc, 4]


(* output *)
{1,1}
{2,2}

That is, I want to access keys based on their position in the association. Any way this can be done efficiently for a large association? I know one can use the Keys[assoc][[position]] function but this is too slow for a large association.


EDIT: Based on the comments below I am giving you the timing information for the function I know that does the job.


a = 1024*1024;
keys = Table[i, {i, a}];
values = RandomReal[{0, 1000000}, {a}];
assoc = Association[MapThread[Rule, {keys, values}]];

AbsoluteTiming[k = Keys[assoc][[10000]];]

(* output *)
{0.548738, Null}

This is too slow for say a hundred thousand accesses.



Answer



Perhaps:


GetKey[assoc_, index_] := First @ Keys @ Take[assoc, {index}]


Your first example:


assoc = <|{1,1} -> 2, {1,2} -> 3, {2,1}->4, {2,2}->5|>;

GetKey[assoc, 1]
GetKey[assoc, 4]


{1, 1}


{2, 2}




Your large example:


a = 1024*1024;
keys = Table[i, {i, a}];
values = RandomReal[{0, 1000000}, {a}];
assoc = Association[MapThread[Rule, {keys, values}]];

AbsoluteTiming[Keys[assoc][[10000]]]
AbsoluteTiming[GetKey[assoc, 10000]]



{0.373301, 10000}


{0.003779, 10000}



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...