Skip to main content

differential equations - DSolve takes too much time


I have the following problem:


DSolve[D[l[w1, w2], w1] a w2 - D[l[w1, w2], w2] a w1 == 
l[w1, w2] + w1 + a^2 w2^2, l[w1, w2], {w1, w2}]


I expect DSolve to return a complete polynomial of second degree as a solution to this differential equation. Yet it is taking an awful lot of time to solve this. Why is it?


EDIT


I expect a solution like:


l = a1 w1 + a2 w2 + a11 w1^2 + a12 w1 w2 + a22 w2^2; 

Since:


h = D[l, w1] a w2 - D[l, w2] a w1 - l - w1 - a^2 w2^2; 
Solve[Table[CoefficientRules[h, {w1, w2}][[i]][[2]] == 0, {i, 1, 3}]]


Outputs:


{{a1 -> -1 - a*a2, a12 -> -(a11/a), a22 -> ((1 + 2*a^2)*a11)/(2*a^2)}, {a -> 0, a1 -> -1, a11 -> 0, a12 -> 0}}

EDIT 2


In the past edit I didn't add the assumption a>0. Indeed the verification turns a trivial solution. I've corrected this, and now we have a real solution with the following code.


Solve[-a11 - a*a12 == 0 && 
2*a*a11 - a12 - 2*a*a22 == 0 && -1 - a1 - a*a2 == 0 &&
a > 0 , {a11, a12, a1, a2, a22}, Reals]

Answer



Probably because DSolve is looking for a general solution, while a solution like l = a1 w1 + a2 w2 + a11 w1^2 + a12 w1 w2 + a22 w2^2 is far beyond general. For example, with the following code we can find another part of the general solution (The definition of DChange can be found here.):



neweqn = DChange[D[l[w1, w2], w1]*a*w2 - D[l[w1, w2], w2]*a*w1 == 
l[w1, w2] + w1 + a^2*w2^2, l[w1, w2] == L[w1*w2]]

(* (-a)*w1^2*Derivative[1][L][w1*w2] + a*w2^2*Derivative[1][L][w1*w2] ==
w1 + a^2*w2^2 + L[w1*w2] *)

DSolve[neweqn /. w1 -> W/w2, L@W, W] /. {L@W -> l[w1, w2], W -> w1 w2} // Simplify

Mathematica graphics


Notice this solution is still incomplete, it only represents solutions that satisfy $l(w_1,w_2)=L(w_1 w_2)$, yet it's already much more complicated than a polynomial. One can expect the complete solution for the PDE is even more complicated and hard to obtain at least for Mathematica.



Finally, I hate to admit it, but Maple does a better job on this PDE:


pdsolve([diff(l(w1,w2),w1)*a*w2-diff(l(w1,w2),w2)*a*w1 = l(w1,w2)+w1+a^2*w2^2],l(w1,w2))

(* {l(w1,w2) = (Intat(exp(-1/a*arctan(_a/(-_a^2+w1^2+w2^2)^(1/2)))*(-_a^2*a^2+(w1^2+w2^2)*a^2+_a)/a/(-_a^2+w1^2+w2^2)^(1/2),_a = w1)+_F1(w1^2+w2^2))*exp(1/a*arctan(w1/w2))} *)

enter image description here





Inspired by the form of the general solution given by Maple, I figured out how to obtain it fast with DSolve. We just need to transform to polar coordinate!:


neweqn = Assuming[{r > 0, -Pi < th < Pi}, 

DChange[D[l[w1, w2], w1] a w2 - D[l[w1, w2], w2] a w1 ==
l[w1, w2] + w1 + a^2 w2^2, {Sqrt[w1^2 + w2^2] == r, th == ArcTan[w1, w2]}, {w1,
w2}, {r, th}, l[w1, w2]]]

(* l[r, th] + r*(Cos[th] + a^2*r*Sin[th]^2) +
a*Derivative[0, 1][l][r, th] == 0 *)

DSolve[neweqn, l[r, th], {r, th}] /. {l[r, th] -> l[w1, w2], r -> Sqrt[w1^2 + w2^2],
th -> ArcTan[w1, w2]} // Simplify


(* {{l[w1, w2] -> (1/(
2 + 10 a^2 +
8 a^4))(4 a^3 (1 + a^2) w1 w2 - (1 + 4 a^2) (2 w1 + (a^2 + a^4) w1^2 +
a w2 (2 + a w2 + a^3 w2)) + a^2 (1 + a^2) (w1^2 + w2^2) Cos[2 ArcTan[w1, w2]]) +
E^(-(ArcTan[w1, w2]/a)) C[1][Sqrt[w1^2 + w2^2]]}} *)

Mathematica graphics


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...