Skip to main content

physics - Boson commutation relations



I have tried to adapt this answer to my problem of calculating some bosonic commutation relations, but there are still some issues.


The way I'm implementing the commutator is straightforward:


commutator[x_, y_] :=x**y-y**x

Example: if I want to compute $[b^\dagger b,ab^\dagger]$ I write


commutator[BosonC["b"]**BosonA["b"], BosonA["a"]**BosonC["b"]]

and the output is $ab^\dagger$ as it should be. However this fails when I compute $[a^\dagger a,ab^\dagger]$ (which should be $-ab^\dagger)$:


commutator[BosonC["a"]**BosonA["a"], BosonA["a"]**BosonC["b"]]
Out: a†** a^2 ** b†- a ** b†** a†** a


How can I modify the code in this answer to have it work properly?


EDIT Building on the answers of @QuantumDot and @evanb, I came up with this solution. First I implement the commutator, with Distribute.


NCM[x___] = NonCommutativeMultiply[x];
SetAttributes[commutator, HoldAll]

NCM[] := 1
commutator[NCM[x___], NCM[y___]] := Distribute[NCM[x, y] - NCM[y, x]]
commutator[x_, y_] := Distribute[NCM[x, y] - NCM[y, x]]


Then I implement two tools, one for teaching Mathematica how to swap creation and annihilation operators and one is for operator ordering:


dag[x_] := ToExpression[ToString[x] ~~ "†"]

mode[x_] := With[{x†= dag[x]},
NCM[left___, x, x†, right___] := NCM[left, x†, x, right] + NCM[left, right]]

leftright[L_, R_] := With[{R† = dag[R], L† = dag[L]},
NCM[left___, pr : R | R†, pl : L | L†, right___] := NCM[left, pl, pr, right]]

Now I can use it like this: after evaluating the definitions I input (for instance)



mode[a]
mode[b]
leftright[a,b]

And finally I can evaluate commutators, for instance


commutator[NCM[a†,a] + NCM[b†,b], NCM[a,b†]]
(* 0 *)

Answer



The function NonCommutativeMultiply has too long of a name, so I make a short-hand version of it (NCP stands for non-commutative product):


NCP[x___] := NonCommutativeMultiply[x];


Now, here's the code


NCP[] := 1
NCP[left___, a, a†, right___] := NCP[left, a†, a, right] + NCP[left, right]
NCP[left___, b, b†, right___] := NCP[left, b†, b, right] + NCP[left, right]
NCP[left___, pl : a | a†, pr : b | b†, right___] := NCP[left, pr, pl, right]

Now your function:


SetAttributes[commutator, HoldAll]    
commutator[NCP[x___], NCP[y___]] := NCP[x, y] - NCP[y, x]


Let's give it a try:


commutator[NCP[b†, b], NCP[a, b†]]


b† ** a



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...