Skip to main content

plotting - How to make a Line[] with no end?


I'm trying to do this:


enter image description here


In this graph, the secant points are aproximated in order to become the tangent, it seems I need some kind of function which plots a line based on two points and it's points do not limit the end of the line.



This is what I could do, as you can evaluate (see?), you'll see the line ends at the proposed points.


Show[{
Plot[{15 - 2 x^2}, {x, -1, 3}],
Graphics[Line[{{1, 13}, {2, 7}}]]
}]

I've read the reference on line but I still have no idea on how to do it, I imagine there are two ways of doing it, (1) the way I did, with Line; (2) With the Plot function.



Answer



A little bit more general (for any function, interval, starting and final points...) and implementing most of your labels:


appDeriv[f_, x0_, xinit_, pRange_List] := Module[{xseq, tan, tan1, l, plot, absPR},

xseq = Table[x0 + Exp[-n/2] (xinit - x0), {n, 0, 10}]; (* exploration points *)
tan = D[f@x, x] /. x -> x0; (* real derivative *)
tan1[x_] := (f[x] - f[x0])/(x - x0); (* approx derivative *)
l[t_] := Line[Transpose[{pRange, pRange t + (-t x0 + f@x0)}]]; (*line w/given angle*)
plot = Plot[f@x, {x, pRange[[1]], pRange[[2]]}, PlotStyle->Thick, PlotLabel->InputForm@f];
absPR = AbsoluteOptions[plot, PlotRange][[1, 2]]; (*get actual prange for the plot*)
Animate[Show[
plot,
Graphics[{
Thick, PointSize[Large],

Green, l[tan], Red, l[tan1[p]], Black, (* The two lines *)
Point[{x0, f@x0}],Point[{p,AbsoluteOptions[plot, AxesOrigin][[1,2,2]]}], Point[{p, f@p}],
Inset[ "x =" <> ToString@N@p, {p, (absPR[[2, 1]] 9 + absPR[[2, 2]])/10}],
Inset[Framed@Grid[{{"Exact ", tan}, {"Calculated", N@tan1[p]}}], {Left,Center},
{Left, Center}, Background -> Yellow]}]],
{p, xseq}] ];
GraphicsGrid[{{appDeriv[Sin@# + 1 &, 0, 2, {-2, 2}],appDeriv[2 # + 2 # # &, 1, 2, {-2, 2}]}}]

Mathematica graphics


enter image description here



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...