Skip to main content

list manipulation - Bigrams and TF-IDF calculation



I want to create a bag of bigrams in a set of documents and calculate the TF-IDF vector of each document. To calculate the bigram of the text I used the following code: The small example of the data (each element in the list is a different document)


data = {"The food at snack is a selection of popular Greek dishes. 
The appetizer tray is good as is the Greek salad. We were underwhelmed with
the main courses. There are 4-5 tables here so it's
sometimes hard to get seated.","This little place in Soho is wonderful. I
had
a lamb sandwich and a glass of wine. The price shocked me for how small the
serving was, but then again, this is Soho. The staff can be a little snotty
and rude, but the food is great, just don't expect world-class service.",
"ordered lunch for 15 from Snack last Friday. On time, nothing

missing and the food was great. I have added it to the regular
company lunch list, as everyone enjoyed their meal."}

The way that I create the bigrams in the file (set of documents) and calculate the TF for each bigram in specific document:


bigram =
Table[
Merge[
<|First[#] <> " " <> Last[#] -> 1|> & /@
Partition[
StringSplit[StringReplace[data[[i]], PunctuationCharacter ->""]],

2, 1],
Total],
{i, 1, Length@data}]

The way that I calculate the frequency of the bigrams in the file (ITF):


bigramUniqe = <||>
Scan[(If[MissingQ[bigramUniqe[#]], AssociateTo[bigramUniqe, # -> 1],
AssociateTo[bigramUniqe, # -> (bigramUniqe[#] + 1)]]) &, bigram];

But in this way, I do not succeed to count the frequency of document that contains the specific bigrams( I have some issue with the level specification of the Associate). Anyway, I look for a more efficient way to implement this task.Thank in advance for any suggestions.




Answer



What do you think about skipping the StringJoin and storing a bigram as a pair of strings?


getbigrams[text_String] := Module[{words},
words =
StringSplit[
ToLowerCase[StringDelete[text, PunctuationCharacter]]];
Counts[Partition[words, 2, 1]]
]

That can save about 40 % of time:



data = ExampleData /@ ExampleData["Text"];

a = Table[
Merge[<|First[#] <> " " <> Last[#] -> 1|> & /@
Partition[
StringSplit[
StringReplace[ToLowerCase[data[[i]]],
PunctuationCharacter -> ""]], 2, 1], Total], {i, 1,
Length@data}]; // AbsoluteTiming // First


b = getbigrams /@ data; // AbsoluteTiming // First

Values[a] == Values[b]


7.62668


4.40748


True



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...