Skip to main content

performance tuning - Making table of matrix product and efficiency


I want to make a table in which each element is a matrix product:


<< Developer`

n = 2;
m = 6;

matrix = Map[ToPackedArray[#] &, Table[Sin[1.0*i*j], {i, 1, m}, {j, 1, n}, {k, 1, n}]];

vector = {IdentityMatrix[n][[1]]}\[Transpose];

Do[Flatten[Table[ #1\[ConjugateTranspose].(matrix[[#2]].#1) &[vector, i], {i, 1, m}]], {ite, 1, 2*10^5}] // AbsoluteTiming
(*{7.430010, Null}*)


In the code above there are two important parts:


First part = Choosing one matrix from the lists of matrices matrix and multiply it by vector.


Second part = Multiplying vector\[ConjugateTranspose] by the result of the first part.


I thought if I convert matrix[[#2]].#1, the first part, into one matrix multiplication, it would be more efficient as instead of many multiplications I calculate all of them in one go:


matrix2 = ToPackedArray[Flatten[Table[matrix[[i]]\[Transpose], {i, 1, m}], 1]];

matrix2 is the desired matrix to do the next step. If you use matrix//MatrixForm, then both the matrices look like each other.


Do[x = matrix2.vector; Flatten[Table[ #1\[ConjugateTranspose].(x[[#2 ;; #2 + n - 1,All]]) &[vector, i], {i, 1, n*m, n}]], {ite, 1, 2*10^5}] // AbsoluteTiming
(*{9.080013, Null}*)


I had to still choose different parts of (matrix2.#1),first part, to multiply that part with #1\[ConjugateTranspose],second part.


As you see although I calculate all the matrix multiplications in the first part at once, it is slower. I thought it might be because of this part of code [[#2 ;; #2 + n - 1, All]] in which I had to choose different parts of the result. I tried:


Do[x = matrix2.vector; Flatten[Table[ (x[[#1 ;; #1 + n - 1, All]]) &[i], {i, 1, n*m, n}]], {ite, 1, 2*10^5}] // AbsoluteTiming
(*{5.290007, Null}*)

Do[Flatten[Table[ (matrix[[#2]].#1) &[vector, i], {i, 1, m}]], {ite, 1, 2*10^5}] // AbsoluteTiming
(*{4.630007, Null}*)

At each iteration for matrix2 I just do the calculation once but for that of matrix at each iteration there are 6 multiplications. In the below I remove the table for matrix2 and replace it with Do for matrix:


Do[x = matrix2.vector, {ite, 1, 2*10^5}] // AbsoluteTiming

(*{0.240000, Null}*)

Do[ Do[(matrix[[#2]].#1) &[vector, i], {i, 1, m}], {ite, 1, 2*10^5}] // AbsoluteTiming
(*{2.620004, Null}*)

Now the calculations for matrix2 are faster. Thus, I believe that choosing parts of matrix2.vector causes the calculation gets slower.


How can I overcome this bottleneck? How can I choose parts of a matrix faster?



Answer



You can increase the performance by transposing your matrix and using Dot without explicit [[...]]


<< Developer`

n = 2;
m = 6;

matrix = Table[Sin[1.0*i*j], {i, m}, {j, n}, {k, n}];
matrix3 = ToPackedArray@Transpose@matrix;

vector = N@Transpose@{IdentityMatrix[n]};
vectorHC = ConjugateTranspose@vector;

Flatten[vectorHC.matrix3.vector, {{1, 3, 2, 4, 5}}] ==

Flatten@Table[#1\[ConjugateTranspose].(matrix[[#2]].#1) &[vector, i], {i, 1, m}]
(* True *)

Do[Flatten[vectorHC.matrix3.vector, {{1, 3, 2, 4, 5}}], {ite, 10^5}] // AbsoluteTiming
(* {0.894130, Null} *)

Do[Flatten[Table[#1\[ConjugateTranspose].(matrix[[#2]].#1) &[vector, i], {i, m}]],
{ite, 10^5}] // AbsoluteTiming
(* {8.979821, Null} *)


Converting vector to a floating-point array (N[...]) also increase the performance a bit.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...