Skip to main content

front end - how to get the Messages Tab back in version 11.1 Edit->Preferences?


On windows 7, version 11.1, when doing edit->Preferences, no longer has the very nice messages tab there any more. I searched but so far, not able to find this tab.


So can't change where my Print output go to easily as before, and change other similar settings.


Is it possible to get this tab back? If not, is there other easy way to make same changes? I really do not want to go through advanced setting and go search option inspector and edit things each time I want to make such changes, since I used to change these settings all the time.


enter image description here




Answer



I don't know why but:



[...] Unfortunately removing the Evaluation and Messages tabs in Mathematica 11.1 Preferences is by design. However those settings can be found in our Option Inspector: [...]



Here is an official documentation about that issue:





You can use old preferences dialog but I can't guarantee everything will be fine:


Module[{relPath, newPath, oldVersion = "11.0"}

, relPath = Sequence[
"SystemFiles", "FrontEnd", "SystemResources", "Preferences.nb"
]

; newPath = FileNameJoin[{$UserBaseDirectory, relPath}]

; If[
Not @ DirectoryQ @ #
, CreateDirectory[#, CreateIntermediateDirectories -> True]
] & @ DirectoryName @ newPath


; CopyFile[
FileNameJoin[{FileNameDrop @ $InstallationDirectory, oldVersion, relPath}]
, newPath
]

]

It copies old dialog to the latest $UserBaseDirectory so you don't need to do backup. Just go and delete newPath file if anything is wrong.





Another way is to play with those options programmatically:


CurrentValue[$FrontEnd, PrintAction]


"PrintToConsole"

Options[$FrontEnd, MessageOptions]


{MessageOptions -> {"AllowDisablingWarnings" -> True, 

"CodeCaptionWarning" -> True, "CompatibilityToolWarning" -> True,
"ConsoleMessageAction" -> "PrintToConsole",
"ErrorAction" -> "PrintToConsole", "ExplainBeepHelp" -> False,
"IgnoreTagBoxDeletionWarning" -> True,
"InsufficientVersionWarning" -> True,
"KernelMessageAction" -> "PrintToConsole",
"MathMLPasteWarning" -> True, "MaxMessageCount" -> 3,
"MessageCountResetTime" -> 2., "TeXPasteWarning" -> True,
"TraditionalFormEvaluationWarning" -> True,
"UseVersionedStylesheetWarning" -> True,

"WarningAction" -> "Beep"}}

You can set them e.g.:


CurrentValue[$FrontEnd, {"MessageOptions", "KernelMessageAction"}] = 
{"PrintToConsole", "Beep"}

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...