Skip to main content

How to speed up integration of interpolation function?


I have a list of data, and I interpolate it to a function. Then I need to do an integration with the interpolating function. But I found that the speed is unacceptably slow.


My data is here (a little long, but don't go away :) ):


data = {-0.00799443, -0.00581522, -0.00557107, -0.00543862, -0.00528042, \

-0.00508618, -0.00486091, -0.00461279, -0.00435009, -0.00408028, \
-0.0038098, -0.00354416, -0.00328805, -0.00304535, -0.00281906, \
-0.0026108, -0.00242045, -0.00224588, -0.00208332, -0.00192845, \
-0.00177801, -0.00163133, -0.00149092, -0.00136145, -0.0012474, \
-0.00115024, -0.00106716, -0.000992246, -0.000919878, -0.000848073, \
-0.000779184, -0.000717175, -0.000663667, -0.000616407, -0.00057173, \
-0.000528424, -0.000488614, -0.000454547, -0.000425288, -0.000397686, \
-0.000370268, -0.00034446, -0.000321488, -0.00030009, -0.000278782, \
-0.000258483, -0.000240725, -0.000224931, -0.000209972, -0.000196452, \
-0.000184918, -0.000174195, -0.000163592, -0.000153752, -0.000144418, \

-0.000134884, -0.000125771, -0.000117444, -0.000109436, -0.000102175, \
-0.0000959463, -0.0000902133, -0.000085125, -0.0000806452, \
-0.0000762082, -0.0000719591, -0.0000677566, -0.000063368, \
-0.0000591507, -0.0000549953, -0.0000510613, -0.0000475951, \
-0.0000444333, -0.0000417897, -0.0000394736, -0.0000373836, \
-0.0000354749, -0.0000334705, -0.0000314543, -0.0000292503, \
-0.0000269879, -0.0000247026, -0.0000224853, -0.0000204942, \
-0.0000187118, -0.0000172668, -0.0000160166, -0.0000149913, \
-0.0000139883, -0.0000129844, -0.000011827, -0.0000105289, \
-9.06132*10^-6, -7.50783*10^-6, -5.94092*10^-6, -4.46213*10^-6, \

-3.15097*10^-6, -2.0399*10^-6, -1.13236*10^-6, -3.57489*10^-7,
3.57489*10^-7, 1.13236*10^-6, 2.0399*10^-6, 3.15097*10^-6,
4.46213*10^-6, 5.94092*10^-6, 7.50783*10^-6,
9.06132*10^-6, 0.0000105289, 0.000011827, 0.0000129844, \
0.0000139883, 0.0000149913, 0.0000160166, 0.0000172668, 0.0000187118, \
0.0000204942, 0.0000224853, 0.0000247026, 0.0000269879, 0.0000292503, \
0.0000314543, 0.0000334705, 0.0000354749, 0.0000373836, 0.0000394736, \
0.0000417897, 0.0000444333, 0.0000475951, 0.0000510613, 0.0000549953, \
0.0000591507, 0.000063368, 0.0000677566, 0.0000719591, 0.0000762082, \
0.0000806452, 0.000085125, 0.0000902133, 0.0000959463, 0.000102175, \

0.000109436, 0.000117444, 0.000125771, 0.000134884, 0.000144418, \
0.000153752, 0.000163592, 0.000174195, 0.000184918, 0.000196452, \
0.000209972, 0.000224931, 0.000240725, 0.000258483, 0.000278782, \
0.00030009, 0.000321488, 0.00034446, 0.000370268, 0.000397686, \
0.000425288, 0.000454547, 0.000488614, 0.000528424, 0.00057173, \
0.000616407, 0.000663667, 0.000717175, 0.000779184, 0.000848073, \
0.000919878, 0.000992246, 0.00106716, 0.00115024, 0.0012474, \
0.00136145, 0.00149092, 0.00163133, 0.00177801, 0.00192845, \
0.00208332, 0.00224588, 0.00242045, 0.0026108, 0.00281906, \
0.00304535, 0.00328805, 0.00354416, 0.0038098, 0.00408028, \

0.00435009, 0.00461279, 0.00486091, 0.00508618, 0.00528042, \
0.00543862, 0.00557107, 0.00581522, 0.00799443}

Interpolate it:


f = Interpolation[data];
Plot[f[x], {x, 1, 200}, PlotRange -> All]

It looks like:


interpolating function plot


Now I define a function:



Clear[b];
b[x_, y_] := NIntegrate[
Cross[{0, f[s], 0}, {x - s, 0, y}][[{1, 3}]]/((x - s)^2 + y^2),
{s, 1, 200}
];

The integration is so slow!!


b[1., 2.] // AbsoluteTiming

(*{1.17772, {-0.00827965, -0.0104805}}*)


What I want to do is a vector plot:


VectorPlot[b[x, y], {x, -10, 210}, {y, -3, 3}]

But with this kind of slow integration, this is painful. Are there better ways to speed up the integration?



Answer



The way to deal with this is to use the special setting Method -> "InterpolationPointsSubdivision" of NIntegrate[], which will automagically split the integrand so that an integration rule (by default, "GlobalAdaptive") is only applied within each piecewise polynomial interval of the InterpolatingFunction[] involved. This is akin to the functionality of the old package NumericalMath`NIntegrateInterpolatingFunct`​.


As a demonstration:


With[{x = 5, y = 5}, 
NIntegrate[Cross[{0, f[s], 0}, {x - s, 0, y}][[{1, 3}]]/((x - s)^2 + y^2),

{s, 1, 200}]] // AbsoluteTiming
{0.619479, {-0.00929476, -0.00291246}}

With[{x = 5, y = 5},
NIntegrate[Cross[{0, f[s], 0}, {x - s, 0, y}][[{1, 3}]]/((x - s)^2 + y^2),
{s, 1, 200}, Method -> "InterpolationPointsSubdivision"]] // AbsoluteTiming
{0.0798281, {-0.00929476, -0.00291246}}

Options[NIntegrate`InterpolationPointsSubdivision] displays the suboptions that can be fed to this method.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...