Skip to main content

compile - Why is my compiled function slower than a regular function?


I have the following functions:


Block[{n, diag},
snake`diag[n_] = Ceiling[1/2 (-1 + Sqrt[1 + 8 n])];
snake`alongdiag[n_, diag_] = {0, diag + 1} + (n - diag (diag - 1)/2) {1, -1};
snake[n_] = snake`alongdiag[n, snake`diag[n]];]
(*A003986 on OEIS, http://oeis.org/A003986*)
A003986[n_] := BitOr @@ (snake[n] - {1, 1})

A003986c =
Compile[{{n, _Integer}}, A003986[n], CompilationTarget -> "C",
RuntimeAttributes -> {Listable}, RuntimeOptions -> "Speed"]

The functions seem very "compilable" in that they're just numerical computations. However, the compiled function performs as badly or worse:


Table[{x, A003986 /@ Range@(10^x); // Timing // First, 
A003986c[Range@(10^x)]; // Timing // First}, {x, 5}]~
Prepend~{"Func", "ME", "Comp"} // TableForm

enter image description here



Fine - perhaps the function does "too little" and the overhead from running the C code is costing too much. But then altering my code to fix that doesn't help things:


A003986l = 
Compile[{{n, _Integer}}, A003986 /@ Range[n],
CompilationTarget -> "C", RuntimeOptions -> "Speed"];
Table[{x, A003986 /@ Range@(10^x); // Timing // First,
A003986l[(10^x)]; // Timing // First}, {x, 5}]~
Prepend~{"Func", "ME", "Comp"} // TableForm

enter image description here


Both functions are approximately linear, so everything seems to be working as expected in an algorithmic regard, but this is very slow for a couple of formulas and BitOr! What is going wrong?




Answer



I made two changes in your code and got a dramatic time drop: I changed A003986[n] to Evaluate@A003986[n] as Szabolcs suggested and I changed diag (diag - 1)/2 to Quotient[diag (diag - 1), 2].


Table[{x, A003986 /@ Range@(10^x); // Timing // First, 
A003986c[Range@(10^x)]; // Timing // First}, {x, 5}]~
Prepend~{"Func", "ME", "Comp"} // TableForm

enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...