Skip to main content

plotting - Plot more points only in specific region of plot


I have the code shown at the bottom of this question which generates a 3D plot. There are locations where the two surfaces you see form cones and touch at infinitesimally small points. These points always occur at z=1 and I have to use many PlotPoints to resolve this touching.


I will be generating thousands of these plots (to form a movie) so need to plot each one as quickly as possible. I would imagine a lot of time would be saved if I used a large number of points only in the regions of interest. Is there a way I can use a large PlotPoints density in a rectangular box that spans the x and y domain but has a small height and is vertically centred around z=1 where I know these points occur (but I don't know their x or y)?




(*The lattice vectors*)
a1 = {Sqrt[3], 0};
a2 = {Sqrt[3]/2, 3/2};

(*Omega/w_0*)
Omega = 0.01;

wp[qx_, qy_, r_] := Module[{},
q = {qx, qy};


(*Nearest neighbour vectors*)
{d1, d2, d3} = # - r & /@ {{0, -1}, {Sqrt[3]/2, 1/2}, {-Sqrt[3]/2, 1/2}};

(*The c_j's*)
{theta, phi} = {0, 0};
{c1, c2, c3} = (1 - 3 Sin[theta]^2 Cos[ArcTan[#[[1]], #[[2]]] - phi + Pi/2]^2)/
Norm[#]^3 & /@ {d1, d2, d3};

modfq =

Sqrt[c1^2 + c2^2 + c3^2 + 2 c1 c2 Cos[q.(d1 - d2)] +
2 c1 c3 Cos[q.(d1 - d3)] + 2 c2 c3 Cos[q.(d2 - d3)]];
{Sqrt[1 + 2 Omega modfq], Sqrt[1 - 2 Omega modfq]}
]

r = {0, 0};

Timing[
With[{plotopts = {Mesh -> None, PlotStyle -> Opacity[0.7],
Ticks -> {{-Pi, 0, Pi}, {-Pi, 0, Pi}, Automatic},

PlotPoints -> 100, ViewPoint -> {1.43, -2.84, 1.13},
ViewVertical -> {0., 0., 1.}}},
plot1 =
Plot3D[wp[qx, qy, r][[1]], {qx, -Pi, Pi}, {qy, -Pi, Pi}, plotopts];
plot2 =
Plot3D[wp[qx, qy, r][[2]], {qx, -Pi, Pi}, {qy, -Pi, Pi}, plotopts];
]
]
plot =
Show[plot1, plot2, PlotRange -> {0.96, 1.04},

Ticks -> {{-Pi, 0, Pi}, {-Pi, 0, Pi}}, LabelStyle -> Medium,
BoxRatios -> {2, 2, 3}, BoxStyle -> Opacity[0.4]]

Note: This question could be a duplicate of here, but from what I gathered it was about feeding it a list of points rather than a region? I could be wrong.



Answer



Unfortunately the recursion algorithm fails to increase points near the Dirac points (actually, with a narrow band gap). It seems that it is because $\partial f(x,y)/\partial x,\ \partial f(x,y)/\partial y \ll 1$. However you can scale your function, scale back with a post-processing and obtain a nice plot!


scale = 1000;
postProcess[g_] :=
g /. GraphicsComplex[pts_, opts___] :>
GraphicsComplex[(pts\[Transpose]/{1, 1, scale})\[Transpose],

opts] /. (VertexNormals ->
n_) :> (VertexNormals -> (n\[Transpose] {1, 1,
scale})\[Transpose]);
Timing[With[{plotopts = {Mesh -> None, PlotStyle -> Opacity[0.7],
Ticks -> {{-Pi, 0, Pi}, {-Pi, 0, Pi}, Automatic},
PlotPoints -> 10, MaxRecursion -> 4,
ViewPoint -> {1.43, -2.84, 1.13},
ViewVertical -> {0., 0., 1.}}},
plot1 =
Plot3D[(wp[qx, qy, r][[1]]) scale, {qx, -Pi, Pi}, {qy, -Pi, Pi},

plotopts] // postProcess;
plot2 =
Plot3D[(wp[qx, qy, r][[2]]) scale, {qx, -Pi, Pi}, {qy, -Pi, Pi},
plotopts] // postProcess;]]
plot = Show[plot1, plot2, PlotRange -> {0.96, 1.04},
Ticks -> {{-Pi, 0, Pi}, {-Pi, 0, Pi}}, LabelStyle -> Medium,
BoxRatios -> {2, 2, 3}, BoxStyle -> Opacity[0.4]]

enter image description here


You can see a fine mesh near the Dirac points:



enter image description here


Now you can obtain a considerable speedup by tuning PlotPloits and MaxRecursion.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...