Skip to main content

geodesy - How to calculate the distance between UTM-projected coordinates?


My coordinates are projected using the following projection:


proj= {"UTMZone32", {"GridOrigin" -> {500000, 0}, "CentralScaleFactor" -> 0.9996}};

Now I wish to calculate the distance between two points (ignoring elevation), e.g.



p1= GeoGridPosition[{359577, 5.51291*10^6,0}, proj]
p2= GeoGridPosition[{509108, 5.972*10^6,0}, proj]

When I try GeoDistance


GeoDistance[p1,p2]

it fails with the error message



GeoDistance::invparam: "Invalid parameters \!\(\"GeoGridPosition[{359577, 5.51291*^6, 0},
{\\\"UTMZone32\\\", {\\\"GridOrigin\\\" -> {500000, 0},

\\\"CentralScaleFactor\\\" -> 0.9996}}]\"\). "

Also, the GeoPositionXYZ function, as in


GeoPositionXYZ[p1]

fails with the error messages



ToString::nonopt: Options expected (instead of InputForm) beyond position 2 in 
ToString[None,{GridOrigin->{500000,0},CentralScaleFactor->0.9996},InputForm].
An option must be a rule or a list of rules. >>


GeoGridPosition::invparam: "Invalid parameters ToString[\!\(None, {
\"GridOrigin\" -> {500000, 0}, \"CentralScaleFactor\" -> 0.9996`}, InputForm\)]."

GeoPositionXYZ::invcoord: "\!\(\"GeoPosition[GeoGridPosition[{359577, 5.51291*^6, 0},
{\\\"UTMZone32\\\", {\\\"GridOrigin\\\" -> {500000, 0}, \\\"CentralScaleFactor\\\" ->
0.9996}}]]\"\) is not a valid coordinate specification."

Both functions work, however, when I switch proj to the string UTMZone32.


Do I need to get the full projection specification to work?



EDIT: After some further googling, I realized that in UTM coordinates the distance between two points is simply


Norm[{p1[[1,1;;2]]-p2[[1,1;;2]]}]

so I would answer my own question with no.



Answer



As @Sjoerd states in the comments, your projection system (UTMZone32) has a defined set of parameters. You can check these using GeoProjectionData:


GeoProjectionData["UTMZone32"]


{"TransverseMercator", {"Centering" -> {0, 9}, "CentralScaleFactor" -> 0.9996, "GridOrigin" -> {500000, 0}, "ReferenceModel" -> "WGS84"}}




These coincide with the ones you are trying to set.


To define your own projection system similar to UTM (based on Transverse Mercator), you can simply specify those in GeoGridPosition:


GeoGridPosition[{1000000, 1000000}, 
{"TransverseMercator", {"Centering" -> {0, 0}, "CentralScaleFactor" -> 0.95,
"GridOrigin" -> {500000, 0}, "ReferenceModel" -> "WGS84"}}]

This now can be easily converted to LatitudeLongitude.


So, since this is a projected coordinate system, and as you state at the end of the question, can be easily calculated using Norm or EuclideanDistance or whatever:


Norm[{359577, 5.51291*10^6, 0} - {509108, 5.972*10^6, 0}]

EuclideanDistance[{359577, 5.51291*10^6, 0}, {509108, 5.972*10^6, 0}]


482828.


482828.



But we can also use the built-in GeoDistance which in v10 returns a Quantity:


pos1 = GeoGridPosition[{359577, 5.51291*10^6, 0}, "UTMZone32"];
pos2 = GeoGridPosition[{509108, 5.972*10^6, 0}, "UTMZone32"];
GeoDistance[pos1, pos2]~UnitConvert~"Meters"



482985. m



Sadly, they're 157 meters apart.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...