Skip to main content

evaluation - Built-in symbols which are more close to the root/core of Wolfram Language


Seeing the vast scope of science covered by the Wolfram Language (WL) and the large amount of built-in symbols (functions), I am curious to know which built-in symbols are more close to the root of WL, i.e., they are wired deeper in the kernel and are less easily bypassed by tricks.


For example, when assigning UpValues the assignment tag should be at level no deeper than 2. If we make an assignment like


Clear[f,g,tag,fg]

tag/:f[g[tag]]:=fg[tag]

a warning message is displaced as



TagSetDelayed::tagpos: "Tag tag in f[g[tag]] is too deep for an assigned rule to be found."



and the evaluation returns $Failed, because the tag is at level 3.


However, there are some built-in symbols which are not restricted by the level-2-requirement:


list = {HoldPattern, ReleaseHold, Unevaluated, Evaluate,
Refresh, Activate, IgnoringInactive};

Map[(tag /: f[#[tag]] := #) &, list];

In this code the tag is at level 3, however all assignments can be made successfully without generating error message.


Even at level 4 there is no error message for some combinations:


Map[(tag /: f[#[[1]]@#[[2]]@tag] := #) &, Tuples[list, 2]]

For example, this assignment is successful,


tag /: f[Evaluate@HoldPattern@tag] := tag

It appears that the built-in symbols in list are not considered as normal wrapper. Some of these symbols are also less easily bypassed by using tricks like assigning UpValues, for instance,



tag /: HoldPattern[tag[x_]] := x;
HoldPattern[tag[_]]

which still returns



HoldPattern[tag[_]]



It is reasonable that, out of the thousands of built-in symbols, some of them are more fundamental and the others are built basing on the fundamental ones. Can we find out these fundamental symbols? So we can at least know a bit more about the mystery behind the veil.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...