Skip to main content

equation solving - How to guess initial complex value for FindRoot


I have to solve a transcendental equation for a parameter, say $\beta$. Now, the $\beta$ has a range from $ik$ to $k$ where $i$ is the usual imaginary root $\sqrt{-1}$ and $k$ is a real number. Problem is, the transcendental equation has multiple solutions, and so I cannot guess what will be the proper choice for the initial value of $\beta$ in FindRoot. I could do it if $\beta$ ranges from $p$ to $q$ where $p$ and $q$ are reals by plotting the transcendental equation's lhs and rhs. However, I don't know how to plot complex ranges. Is there any way to guess the initial values?




Code I used:


e1 = 1; e2 = -1; e0 = 8.854*^-12; mu0 = 1.257*^-6; c = 3.0*^8; w = 2*Pi*2*^14;
k = w/c; a = 600*^-9; k1 = w*Sqrt[e1]/c; k2 = w*Sqrt[e2]/c; b = p + q I;

u = Sqrt[k1^2 - b^2]; ww = Sqrt[b^2 - k2^2]; v = 1;

t1 = (BesselJ[v - 1, u a] - BesselJ[v + 1, u a])/(2*u*BesselJ[v, u a]);
t2 = -(BesselK[v - 1, ww a] + BesselK[v + 1, ww a])/(2*ww* BesselK[v, ww a]);

x = (e1 t1 + e2 t2) (t1 + t2); y = ((b*v)/(k*a))*(1/u^2 + 1/ww^2);

ClickPane[ ContourPlot[{Re[x - y^2], Im[x - y^2]}, {p, 0, k}, {q, 0, k}],
(xycord = #) & ] Dynamic[xycord]

Answer




One method I use is to separately plot the zero contours of the real and imaginary parts of the equation whose complex roots are being sought.


As a particular example, say I want the complex roots $z=x+iy$ of the error function,


$$\mathrm{erf}(z)=0$$


in the first quadrant, $0

I do something like this:


plt = ContourPlot[{Re[Erf[x + I y]] == 0, Im[Erf[x + I y]] == 0}, {x, 0, 5}, {y, 0, 5}]

contours of real and imaginary parts


One option is manual: right-click on the image, click "Get Coordinates", pick out and click on a crossing, and then press Ctrl+C to copy the coordinates. For instance, if I want the root of least magnitude, my attempt at performing that procedure yields the point {1.453, 1.887}, which can then be fed to FindRoot[]:


FindRoot[Erf[z] == 0, {z, 1.453 + 1.887 I}]

{z -> 1.450616163243677 + 1.8809430001533158*I}

A better approach to finding these roots is to use a utility function called FindAllCrossings2D[] due to Stan Wagon. Here's how to use it:


sols = FindAllCrossings2D[{Re[Erf[x + I y]], Im[Erf[x + I y]]}, {x, 0, 5}, {y, 0, 5}]
{{1.4506161632436756, 1.8809430001533154}, {2.2446592738032476, 2.61657514068944},
{2.839741046908047, 3.175628099643187}, {3.3354607354411554, 3.646174376387361},
{3.7690055670142044, 4.060697233933308}, {4.158998399781451, 4.435571444236523},
{4.516319399583921, 4.78044764414843}}

Conversion to the corresponding complex roots is easy, of course:



#1 + I #2 & @@@ sols

You can graphically verify the roots, too:


Show[plt, Epilog -> {AbsolutePointSize[4], Red, Point[sols]}]

contours and roots


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...