Skip to main content

front end - Questions about InlineCell vs InlineFormula vs DisplayFormula cells


I'm having trouble with typesetting, and can't get these questions straight in my head.





  1. What is the difference between "InlineCell" and "InlineFormula" style?




  2. Is one a subset of the other?




  3. In what situations should I use each?





  4. And why is InlineCell important enough to have default shortcut (Ctrl + 9) but InlineFormula is not?




  5. Does "InlineFormula" have anything to do with an "DisplayFormula" cell?





Answer



I don't have much experience with writting books or articles in Mathematica so let me just add technicall notes. For use cases I'd search around using those styles as keywords:






4


Ctrl+9 starts an Inline cell which is not the same thing as an "InlineCell". But one step at a time.


So an Inline cell is special as it is a cell inside a cell (notice that you can't just create it between cells with Crtl+9). And now an "InlineCell" is a style that is used for that area automatically after it is created. (more info in Order/Dependency of Styles in a Stylesheet by John Fultz)


Notice also that "InlineCell" style is not even explicitly present in Cell[] expression whereas for custom setting e.g. DefaultNewInlineCellStyle -> {"InlineFormula"}, the "InlineFormula" will be there. So the former style is really a core stuff.


1; 2; 3


As you can see from definition in Core.nb it is not so much about styling but about behavior/experience:


Cell[StyleData["InlineCell"],
ShowCodeAssist->False,
CodeAssistOptions->{"DynamicHighlighting"->False},
TextAlignment->Left,

TranslationOptions->{"Enabled"->False},
LanguageCategory->"Formula",
ScriptLevel->1,
StyleMenuListing->None
]

so is the case with "InlineFormula" (from Default.nb):


Cell[StyleData["InlineFormula"],
StripStyleOnPaste->True,
HyphenationOptions->{"HyphenationCharacter"->"\[Continuation]"},

LanguageCategory->"Formula",
ScriptLevel->1,
SingleLetterItalics->True,
MenuSortingValue->1650,
FontSize->Inherited 1.05
]

but here that SingleLetterItalics and enlarged FontSize suggest it is meant for... formulas, in mathematical sense probably.


So you can compare those options and set DefaultNewInlineCellStyle whatever you like. You can set also other styles or modify those, whatever fit your needs.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...