Skip to main content

DSolve leads to an equation that is different from paper solution


I'm following the method in the two images in an attempt to obtain a value for $\beta$. I know that there's a mistake in (4.36) from here so I used Mathematica's solution to continue the solution. I used the following code:


ClearAll[Y, y, \[Mu] , k, a, \[Theta]]
sol = DSolve[{Y''[y] - ((\[Mu] k \[Pi])/a)^2 Y[y] == (-8 \[Theta])/(
k \[Pi]), Y[-b/2] == 0, Y[b/2] == 0}, Y, y];
Y2[y_] = FullSimplify[ExpToTrig[Y[y] /. sol[[1]]]];
\[Phi][x_, y_] = Y2[y]*Sin[(k \[Pi])/a x];
gj = 2 \!\(
\*SubsuperscriptBox[\(\[Integral]\),

FractionBox[\(-b\), \(2\)],
FractionBox[\(b\), \(2\)]]\(\((
\*SubsuperscriptBox[\(\[Integral]\), \(0\), \(a\)]\[Phi][x,
y] \[DifferentialD]x)\) \[DifferentialD]y\)\);
a = b; Gx = Gy; \[Mu] = Sqrt[Gx/Gy];
\[Beta] = gj/(Gx a b^3)

to get that $$\beta=\frac{32 \theta \sin ^2\left(\frac{\pi k}{2}\right) \left(\pi b k-2 b \tanh \left(\frac{\pi k}{2}\right)\right)}{\pi ^5 b G_y k^5}$$ According to the solution in the images and my understanding, $\beta$ is a a factor so setting $a=b$ and $G_y=G_x$ should lead to an elimination of those terms, i.e. they divide and become 1 like in the case of the $c$ factor in the paper, but that is not the case in the solution using Mathematica. There are an extra $b$, $\theta$, and $G_y$ that cannot be cancelled with $a$ and $G_x$.


When the author of the paper does N[Sum[\[Beta], {k, 1, 60, 2}]] (they didn't use Mathematica but it's to get the point across) setting $c=1$ they the following result


Results from simulation compared to analytical



which agrees with simulations. When I run N[Sum[\[Beta], {k, 1, 60, 2}]] I get $\frac{0.140577}{G_y}$ which will give me a different answer to the author of the paper.


This is the 4th time that this happens. I've been using several techniques and following various similar solutions but I can't seem to get the equations from Mathematica and from the papers to agree. Is there something wrong with my code that I'm not seeing? Can I rearrange my equation for $\beta$ so that I won't end up with an extra $G_y$ in the solution? Or is it simply that the author made a mistake?


The governing equation for Prandtl’s stress function $\phi(x,y)$ is $$\phi_{xx}+\frac{G_{zy}}{G_{zx}}\phi_{yy}=-2\theta$$ with BCs $\phi(\pm a/2,y)=\phi(x,\pm b/2)=0$.


Page 1 Page 2




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...