Skip to main content

differential equations - Piecewise Function within NDSolve


So I am quite new to Mathematica and programming in general and I am running into an issue while trying to use the numerical diff eq solver (NDSolve) within mathematica. This is what my code looks like:


 NDSolve[
{Paorta'[t] == (1/
Caorta)[(Pheart[t] - Paorta[t])/
Piecewise[{{Ro, Pheart[t] - Paorta[t] > 0}, {x*Ro,
Pheart[t] - Paorta[t] < 0}}, .25] - Paorta[t]/Rsystemic],

Paorta[0] == 120},
{Paorta[t]},
{t, 0, 6}
]

Now, I am getting the error "NDSolve::ndnum: Encountered non-numerical value for a derivative at t == 0.


I am pretty sure the reason for this is the fact that I have the function I am trying to solve for as one of the conditions in the piecewise function but I need that to be there for the purposes of the project I am working on.


Is there any way to get around this issue? And is this even what is causing my issue?


These are the definitions I have used previously in the code:


Ro = .25;

Caorta = 1/.48;
k = 110;
\[Omega] = 2 \[Pi];
x = 8000;
Pheart[t_] := 1/2*k*(1 + Cos[\[Omega] t]) + 10 ;
Rsystemic = 3.1;

Thanks in advance, Dinomite



Answer



Your main problem is a stray pair of square brackets [] in the argument of NDSolve. Square brackets have special meaning in Mathematica, so they cannot be used to group expressions and to alter the evaluation order. To accomplish the latter, you always use () instead.



Your Piecewise function definition was also possibly more complicated than it needed to be. Since you really have only two definitions, you can use the one in the conditional definition, and use the other as the default value. This seems to take care of another complaint that NDSolve would display otherwise.


In short:


NDSolve[{
Paorta'[t] ==
(1/Caorta) ( (Pheart[t] - Paorta[t]) /
Piecewise[{{Ro, Pheart[t] - Paorta[t] > 0}}, x*Ro] - Paorta[t]/Rsystemic ),
Paorta[0] == 120
},
Paorta, {t, 0, 6}
]


Plot[Paorta[t] /. %, {t, 0, 6}, Evaluated -> True]

pulse function


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...