Skip to main content

plotting - How to plot the result of this singular integral?


Please I open a new post here after this one : https://mathematica.stackexchange.com/a/59203/10158



Now I want to plot the function $f(a,b)$ as a function of $b$ for different values of $a$ : $a=0.5$ , $a=10$ and $a=100$


$f(a,b)=1-\dfrac{a \, b^2}{K_{2}(a)}\dfrac{\partial^2}{\partial a^2}\Bigg[\dfrac{1}{a}\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{1-b^2}}\displaystyle{\int_1^{\infty }\dfrac{e^{-ax}}{\sqrt{x^2-1} (1+x\sqrt{1-b^2}) (x-1/\sqrt{1-b^2})} \, dx}\Bigg]$


where $K_{2}(a)$ is the modified Bessel function of the second kind and $\dfrac{\partial^2} {\partial a^2}$ is the $2^{nd}$ derivative with respect to a.


Mathematica input form:


1 - ((a b^2/BesselK[2, a]) D[(1/a) (1/Sqrt[1 - b^2]) Integrate[E^-ax/(Sqrt[x^2 - 1] (1 + x Sqrt[1 - b^2]) (x - 1/Sqrt[1 - b^2])), {x,1, Infinity}], {a, 2}])

how do it please?


Thank's.



Answer



First I assume that the OP wants to compute the Cauchy principal value of the integral, since the integrand has a simple pole in the interior of the interval of integration. Dealing with such singularities is described in the tutorial NIntegrate Integration Strategies.



I let the derivative be computed in the process of defining f. The symbols a and b are highlighted in red by the syntax highlighter because they appear as function arguments and as symbols being blocked. It indicates a warning of a potential scoping conflict. But Block is evaluated before the definition of f is set, so the warning may be ignored in this case. The differentiation results in an expression that contains a linear combination of three NIntegrate integrals. I combine these, more or less manually, with pattern replacements that implement the linearity properties of the integral. This reduces computation time by about 40%.


ClearAll[f];

f[a_, b_] /; a > 0 && 0 < b < 1 :=
Evaluate[Block[{a, b, NIntegrate},
1 - ((a b^2/BesselK[2, a]) *
D[(1/a) (1/Sqrt[1 - b^2]) *
NIntegrate[Exp[-a x]/(Sqrt[x^2 - 1] (1 + x Sqrt[1 - b^2]) (x - 1/Sqrt[1 - b^2])),
{x, 1, 1/Sqrt[1 - b^2], Infinity},
Method -> "PrincipalValue"],

{a, 2}]) /.
HoldPattern[Times[NIntegrate[int_, args__], coeff__]] :>
NIntegrate[Times[int, coeff], args] /.
t : Plus[_NIntegrate, __NIntegrate] :>
NIntegrate[First /@ t, Sequence @@ t[[1, 2 ;;]]]
]]

For the plot, I set a few options for NIntegrate suitable for plotting. Somehow some of the coefficients get set to MachinePrecision which causes a precision warning; therefore I turned the warning off.


Module[{opts = Options[NIntegrate], plot, offQ},
SetOptions[NIntegrate, {WorkingPrecision -> 12, AccuracyGoal -> 3, MaxRecursion -> 12}];

offQ = Head[NIntegrate::precw] === $Off;
Off[NIntegrate::precw];

plot = Plot[
Evaluate@Table[f[a, b], {a, {0.5`20, 10, 100}}], {b, 0, 1},
PlotPoints -> 15, WorkingPrecision -> 12];

SetOptions[NIntegrate, opts];
If[! offQ, On[NIntegrate::precw]];
plot

]

Mathematica graphics


Evaluation is still rather slow, the plot above taking about 28-29 seconds.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...