Skip to main content

computational geometry - How do I get ConvexHullMesh to return polygons instead of triangle as surface mesh?


I would need to identify the types of regular polygons forming the surface of a convex hull of 3D points. If I e.g. take the following example of a regular polyhedron


ConvexHullMesh[N[PolyhedronData["Dodecahedron", "VertexCoordinates"]]]

The convex hull routine returns a triangulated mesh surface. Is there any simple way to convince Mathematica to return the surface as polyhedrons (in this case pentagons) instead of a triangulation.


To illustrate the issue further, e.g if one applies


MeshCells[ConvexHullMesh[N[PolyhedronData["Dodecahedron", "VertexCoordinates"]]], 2]


Mathematica only returns triangles.


If one applies


ConvexHullMesh[N[PolyhedronData["Dodecahedron", "VertexCoordinates"]]] // FullForm

There is the option "CoplanarityTolerance". But I do not know how to use it.


Any ideas?



Answer



The procedure groups triangles based on the same unit normal vector, then uses the vertices in each group to form a new polygon. The vertices are sorted in such a way that their polygon is not self-intersecting.


This method doesn't allow for coplanar tolerance. Triangles in the same group have the same unit normal vector determined to within the second argument of Round (10^-5 here).



The sorting function sort is modified from #48091, which is a 2D method. sort uses the XY-projection of the points, unless they're colinear in X or Y.


sort[pts_] := Module[
{p, subspaceselector},
p = coord[[#]] & /@ pts;
subspaceselector = Which[
p[[1, 1]] == p[[2, 1]] == p[[3, 1]], Rest,
p[[1, 2]] == p[[2, 2]] == p[[3, 2]], Drop[#, {2}] &,
True, Most
];
SortBy[pts, N[ArcTan @@ subspaceselector[coord[[#]] - Mean[p]]] &]

];
unitnormal[verts_] := Round[
Normalize[Cross[verts[[2]] - verts[[1]], verts[[3]] - verts[[1]]]],
10^-5
];
convexhull = ConvexHullMesh[N[PolyhedronData["Dodecahedron", "VertexCoordinates"]]];
coord = MeshCoordinates[convexhull];
trivertices = Level[MeshCells[convexhull, 2], {-2}];
polysets = GatherBy[
trivertices,

unitnormal[Function[i, coord[[i]]] /@ #] &
];
polyvertices = Map[sort][Union @@ # & /@ polysets];
MeshRegion[coord, Polygon /@ polyvertices]

New convex hull


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...