Skip to main content

plotting - Magnifying Glass on a Plot


Although there is a trick in TEX magnifying glass but I want to know is there any function to magnifying glass on a plot with Mathematica?


For example for a function as Sin[x] and at x=Pi/6


Below, this is just a picture desired from the cited site. the image got huge unfortunately I don't know how can I change the size of an image here! enter image description here



Answer



Insetting a magnified part of the original Plot


A) by adding a new Plot of the specified range


xPos = Pi/6;
range = 0.2;

f = Sin;
xyMinMax = {{xPos - range, xPos + range},
{f[xPos] - range*GoldenRatio^-1, f[xPos] + range*GoldenRatio^-1}};

Plot[f[x], {x, 0, 5},
Epilog -> {Transparent, EdgeForm[Thick],
Rectangle[Sequence @@ Transpose[xyMinMax]],
Inset[Plot[f[x], {x, xPos - range, xPos + range}, Frame -> True,
Axes -> False, PlotRange -> xyMinMax, ImageSize -> 270], {4., 0.5}]}, ImageSize -> 700]


PlotA


B) by adding a new Plot within a Circle


mf = RegionMember[Disk[{xPos, f[xPos]}, {range, range/GoldenRatio}]]

Show[{Graphics@Circle[{xPos, f[xPos]}, {range, range/GoldenRatio}],
Plot[f[x], {x, xPos - range, xPos + range}] /.
Graphics[{{{}, {}, {formating__, line_Line}}}, stuff___] :>
Graphics[{{{}, {}, {formating,
Line[Pick[line[[1]], mf[line[[1]]]]]}}}, stuff]},
PlotRange -> All, ImageSize -> 200, AspectRatio -> 1,

AxesOrigin -> {0, 0}]

Plot[f[x], {x, 0, 5},
Epilog -> {Transparent, EdgeForm[Thick],
Disk[{xPos, f[xPos]}, {range, range/GoldenRatio}],
Inset[%, {4.1, 0.5}]}, ImageSize -> 700]

PlotB


C) by adding the Line segments within a Circle of the original Plot


Show[{Graphics[{Green, 

Circle[{xPos, f[xPos]}, {range, range/GoldenRatio}]}],
Plot[f[x], {x, 0, 5}] /.
Graphics[{{{}, {}, {formating__, line_Line}}}, stuff___] :>
Graphics[{{{}, {}, {formating,
Line[Pick[line[[1]], mf[line[[1]]]]]}}}, stuff]},
PlotRange -> All, ImageSize -> 200, AspectRatio -> 1]

Plot[f[x], {x, 0, 5},
Epilog -> {Green, Line[{{xPos + range, f[xPos]}, {3.38, 0.5}}],
Transparent, EdgeForm[Green],

Disk[{xPos, f[xPos]}, {range, range/GoldenRatio}],
Inset[%, {4.1, 0.5}]}, ImageSize -> 700]

PlotC


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...