Skip to main content

programming - Prevent iterator name from being confused with symbol passed into function body


I have a massive amount of code with lots of Table and Sum inside a Module. Each with their own iterators, and I have completely lost track of all of them. But if the user calls the function with an argument matching the name of the iterator, the code no long works as intended.


An example is this function that is supposed to return a list of three repeated symbols:



function[x_] := 
Module[{},
answer = Table[x, {i, 1, 3}];
Return[answer];
]

For example:


function[a]
(*{a,a,a}*)


But this can be broken by


function[i]
(*{1,2,3}*)

Obviously, Table is confusing the input x=i with its own iterator i. What is the fool-proof fix for this? Is there a solution without:




  1. Finding the names of all the iterators and listing them all as private variables inside Module?





  2. Finding all the iterators and renaming them longAndComplicated1, longAndComplicated2, etc.?





Answer



Make use of Module's capability to localize variables.


f[x_] := Module[{i}, Table[x, {i, 1, 3}]]
f[i]


{i, i, i}


Also, with i localized, you don't need to use distinct iterator names in different iteration constructs.


g[x_] :=
Module[{i, a, b},
a = Table[x, {i, 3}];
b = Table[x^3, {i, 2}];
{a, b}]
{g[i], g[a], g[b]}



{{{i, i, i}, {i^3, i^3}}, 
{{a, a, a}, {a^3, a^3}},
{{b, b, b}, {b^3, b^3}}

Further, note that you don't need to use Return if you use the semicolon ( ; ) operator properly. (Yes, semicolon is an operator in Mathematica, not a terminator.) See this answer for more information on the semicolon operator. Actually, it likely you will benefit from all answers given on the page I have linked to.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?