Skip to main content

plotting - SetOptions or other approach to imposing default styling of text in a BarChart Legend?


Gustavo Delfino's answer to an earlier question showed that it is possible to use the third argument to Placed to format text in a BarChart legend as desired. For example, without this argument, the legend text in the example below would still be small and in Times, even though I have used SetOptions to style BaseStyle for BarChart, Graphics, etc.


BarChart[RandomVariate[NormalDistribution[0, 0.6], 40], 
ChartStyle -> Join[ConstantArray[Green, {39}], {Orange}],
ChartLegends -> Placed[Join[ConstantArray[None, {39}], {"Preliminary estimates"}],
Bottom, Style[#, FontFamily -> "Arial", FontSize -> 14] &]]

enter image description here



Is there a way to set this globally? I’d like to enforce the font style of legends in a package, the way I have already done for the frame around the legend using Mr.Wizard’s answer to an earlier question of mine on StackOverflow. I would have thought some setting of BaseStyle should work but these are the only (undocumented) options that Legending`GridLegend takes:


Options[Legending`GridLegend]

{"LegendPlacementFunction" -> Automatic,
LegendAppearance -> Automatic,
Legending`LegendContainer -> Automatic,
Legending`LegendHeading -> None, Legending`LegendImage -> Automatic,
Legending`LegendImage -> Automatic,
Legending`LegendLayout -> Automatic,
Legending`LegendPosition -> Automatic,

Legending`LegendSize -> Automatic}

Answer



I'm not certain I understand your requirements, but if you liked my prior answer that you referenced, why not use it here too? Since the LegendContainer is applied to the legend you can use it to insert directives:


SetOptions[Legending`GridLegend, 
Legending`LegendContainer -> (Append[#, {Red, Bold, FontFamily -> "Helvetica"}] &) ]

BarChart[{{1, 2, 3}, {1, 3, 2}, {5, 2}},
ChartLegends -> {"some", "text", "here"} ]

Mathematica graphics



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...