Skip to main content

matrix - Eigenvector Anomaly



I'm trying to compute the eigenvectors for:


$$ M = \left( \begin{array}{ccc} 1 & 4 \\ 4 & 100 \end{array} \right) $$


Both myself and Mathematica report the eigenvalues as:


$$ \lambda_1 = \frac{1}{2} \left(101+\sqrt{9865}\right) \approx 100.161 \\ \lambda_2 = \frac{1}{2} \left(101-\sqrt{9865}\right) \approx 0.838647 $$


But when I ask for eigenvectors, the answer changes depending on whether I input the numbers as integers or floating-point numbers.


When I ask for Eigenvectors[{{1, 4}, {4, 100}}] I get:


$$ v_1 = \left(\frac{1}{8} \left(-99+\sqrt{9865}\right), 1\right) \approx (0.0403383, 1) \\ v_2 = \left(\frac{1}{8} \left(-99-\sqrt{9865}\right), 1\right) \approx (-24.7903, 1) $$


When I ask for Eigenvectors[{{1.0, 4.0}, {4.0, 100.0}}] I get:


$$v_1 \approx (0.0403055, 0.999187) \\ v_2 \approx (-0.999187, 0.0403055)$$


When I calculate by hand, I get a solution which matches the first query.



So, am I going crazy and overlooking some important maths (not unlikely, very tired...) or is this a bug?


Possible related issues?:




Answer



Eigenvectors for inexact arguments are normalized:


Eigenvectors[{{1, 4}, {4, 100}}]
% // N
Normalize /@ %% // N
Eigenvectors[{{1.0, 4.0}, {4.0, 100.0}}]


(*
{{1/8 (-99+Sqrt[9865]),1},{1/8 (-99-Sqrt[9865]),1}}

{{0.0403383,1.},{-24.7903,1.}}

{{0.0403055,0.999187},{-0.999187,0.0403055}}

{{0.0403055,0.999187},{-0.999187,0.0403055}}
*)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...