Skip to main content

kernel - Generating figures over remote connection (using terminal)


Recently I've been making movies by having Mathematica create figures and then I combine all of them together using ffmpeg. The problem now is that my macbook is not fast enough to generate the figures I want in a short amount of time.


I have access to a linux machine and I would like to be able to send a script to that machine so that I can generate my figures. The problem I'm facing is that Mathematica can't open display ":0.0".


enter image description here


I also found this, but it did not solve my problem. Does anyone know how to generate figures in the terminal? All I want it to do is to write them to a file.



Answer



Since graphics can no longer be exported without access to a front end, even with remote connections you have to have X11 installed and working on your local machine. Therefore, the first thing you should do is: go to the web site http://xquartz.macosforge.org/landing/ and download the latest version of X11 appropriate for your OS X version. After installing it, everything should work.


Edit


In view of the comments, it's worth asking what the alternatives are to creating graphics on a remote host. Since the X11 protocol slows down the interaction between Kernel and FrontEnd, it's not practical on Mac OS X to create graphics that way any more. Unless you have older versions of Mathematica running on the remote host, that's the end of the line for this approach.


So what to do? You can hope you have a VNC server so you can start the interactive session entirely on the host. That's a good solution if it's available.



If not, then perhaps you'll be best off running the graphics generation as a background job on your own computer. If you have a multicore machine, you can start a Kernel session in the Terminal and let it run there, while doing other things in an interactive notebook session. At least in this way, you won't have to worry about not finding the FrontEnd.


On my Mac, I've set up a math command that starts /Applications/Mathematica.app/Contents/MacOS/MathKernel from the Terminal (see this page for details), and in such a Kernel session I would then (without calling JavaGraphics) do the graphics generation, e.g.:


t = Table[ParametricPlot3D[{Sin[u], Sin[v], Sin[u + v]}, {u, 0, 2 Pi}, {v,0, 2 Pi}, RegionFunction -> Function[{x, y, z}, z < a], PlotRange -> {{-1, 1}, {-1, 1}, {-1, 1}}],{a, -1,1,.01}];
Export["t.gif",t]

While that's running, I'm able to use the Mathematica notebook interface in parallel.


I said not to call JavaGraphics, because once that is initialized the Kernel session will want to display all the pictures you create. One can turn that off again by adding DisplayFunction->Identity to the plot command options, but if the plan is to do a non-interactive job, I'd suggest not loading JavaGraphics in the first place.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - Filling between two spheres in SphericalPlot3D

Manipulate[ SphericalPlot3D[{1, 2 - n}, {θ, 0, Pi}, {ϕ, 0, 1.5 Pi}, Mesh -> None, PlotPoints -> 15, PlotRange -> {-2.2, 2.2}], {n, 0, 1}] I cant' seem to be able to make a filling between two spheres. I've already tried the obvious Filling -> {1 -> {2}} but Mathematica doesn't seem to like that option. Is there any easy way around this or ... Answer There is no built-in filling in SphericalPlot3D . One option is to use ParametricPlot3D to draw the surfaces between the two shells: Manipulate[ Show[SphericalPlot3D[{1, 2 - n}, {θ, 0, Pi}, {ϕ, 0, 1.5 Pi}, PlotPoints -> 15, PlotRange -> {-2.2, 2.2}], ParametricPlot3D[{ r {Sin[t] Cos[1.5 Pi], Sin[t] Sin[1.5 Pi], Cos[t]}, r {Sin[t] Cos[0 Pi], Sin[t] Sin[0 Pi], Cos[t]}}, {r, 1, 2 - n}, {t, 0, Pi}, PlotStyle -> Yellow, Mesh -> {2, 15}]], {n, 0, 1}]

plotting - Plot 4D data with color as 4th dimension

I have a list of 4D data (x position, y position, amplitude, wavelength). I want to plot x, y, and amplitude on a 3D plot and have the color of the points correspond to the wavelength. I have seen many examples using functions to define color but my wavelength cannot be expressed by an analytic function. Is there a simple way to do this? Answer Here a another possible way to visualize 4D data: data = Flatten[Table[{x, y, x^2 + y^2, Sin[x - y]}, {x, -Pi, Pi,Pi/10}, {y,-Pi,Pi, Pi/10}], 1]; You can use the function Point along with VertexColors . Now the points are places using the first three elements and the color is determined by the fourth. In this case I used Hue, but you can use whatever you prefer. Graphics3D[ Point[data[[All, 1 ;; 3]], VertexColors -> Hue /@ data[[All, 4]]], Axes -> True, BoxRatios -> {1, 1, 1/GoldenRatio}]

plotting - Mathematica: 3D plot based on combined 2D graphs

I have several sigmoidal fits to 3 different datasets, with mean fit predictions plus the 95% confidence limits (not symmetrical around the mean) and the actual data. I would now like to show these different 2D plots projected in 3D as in but then using proper perspective. In the link here they give some solutions to combine the plots using isometric perspective, but I would like to use proper 3 point perspective. Any thoughts? Also any way to show the mean points per time point for each series plus or minus the standard error on the mean would be cool too, either using points+vertical bars, or using spheres plus tubes. Below are some test data and the fit function I am using. Note that I am working on a logit(proportion) scale and that the final vertical scale is Log10(percentage). (* some test data *) data = Table[Null, {i, 4}]; data[[1]] = {{1, -5.8}, {2, -5.4}, {3, -0.8}, {4, -0.2}, {5, 4.6}, {1, -6.4}, {2, -5.6}, {3, -0.7}, {4, 0.04}, {5, 1.0}, {1, -6.8}, {2, -4.7}, {3, -1.