Skip to main content

plotting - Traces of the level surface $z=4x^2+y^2$


I came up with this method to plot the traces of the surface $z=4x^2+y^2$, in this case for $z=1$, 2, 3, and 4.


ContourPlot3D[{z == 4 x^2 + y^2, z == 1, z == 2, z == 3, 
z == 4}, {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2}, {z, 0, 4.01},
ContourStyle -> {Opacity[0.3]},
PlotPoints -> 30, MaxRecursion -> 3,
Mesh -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}}, MeshFunctions -> {#3 &},
MeshStyle -> {Thick, Red},

AxesLabel -> {"x", "y", "z"}]

Which produces this image:


enter image description here


I am now looking for a way to hide the surface $z=4x^2+y^2$, but keep the planes and the mesh curves.


Any suggestions?


Update:


Consider obtaining traces for the surface $z=y^2-x^2$ using technique shown by MichaelE2.


ContourPlot3D[z, {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2}, {z, -1.5, 1.5}, 
Contours -> {-1, 0, 1}, ContourStyle -> {Opacity[0.3]},

PlotPoints -> 30, MaxRecursion -> 3, Mesh -> {{0}},
MeshFunctions -> {Function[{x, y, z}, z - (y^2 - x^2)]},
MeshStyle -> Directive[Thick, Red], AxesLabel -> Automatic]

Image:


enter image description here


ContourPlot3D[x, {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2}, {z, -1.5, 1.5}, 
Contours -> {-1, 0, 1}, ContourStyle -> {Opacity[0.3]},
PlotPoints -> 30, MaxRecursion -> 3, Mesh -> {{0}},
MeshFunctions -> {Function[{x, y, z}, z - (y^2 - x^2)]},

MeshStyle -> Directive[Thick, Red], AxesLabel -> Automatic]

Image:


enter image description here


ContourPlot3D[y, {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2}, {z, -1.5, 1.5}, 
Contours -> {-1, 0, 1}, ContourStyle -> {Opacity[0.3]},
PlotPoints -> 30, MaxRecursion -> 3, Mesh -> {{0}},
MeshFunctions -> {Function[{x, y, z}, z - (y^2 - x^2)]},
MeshStyle -> Directive[Thick, Red], AxesLabel -> Automatic]


Image:


enter image description here


I think this gives students a very simple way to get the traces for a quadratic surface.



Answer



You could omit the (paraboloid) surface and use its formula as a mesh function:


ContourPlot3D[z, {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2}, {z, 0, 4.01}, 
Contours -> Range[4], ContourStyle -> {Opacity[0.3]},
PlotPoints -> 30, MaxRecursion -> 3, Mesh -> {{0}},
MeshFunctions -> {Function[{x, y, z}, z - (4 x^2 + y^2)]},
MeshStyle -> Directive[Thick, Red], AxesLabel -> Automatic]


Mathematica graphics




You may like the simpler approach above, but if you want to get fancy, you could highlight the ellipses.


ContourPlot3D[z, {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2}, {z, 0, 4.01}, 
Contours -> Range[4], ContourStyle -> {Opacity[0.3]},
PlotPoints -> 30, MaxRecursion -> 3, Mesh -> {Range[0.5, 3.5], {0}},
MeshShading -> {
{Opacity[ 0.2], ##} & @@@
("DefaultPlotStyle" /. (Method /. Charting`ResolvePlotTheme["Default", ContourPlot3D])),

{Opacity[0.7], ##} & @@@
("DefaultPlotStyle" /. (Method /. Charting`ResolvePlotTheme["Default", ContourPlot3D]))
},
MeshFunctions -> {#3 &, Function[{x, y, z}, z - (4 x^2 + y^2)]},
MeshStyle -> Directive[Thick, Red], AxesLabel -> {"x", "y", "z"}]

Mathematica graphics


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...