Skip to main content

equation solving - Wrong results from NSolve on coupled polynomials. WorkingPrecision -> Automatic fails


OP UPDATE: I received an email from WR on 1-18-2016: "...It does appear that the NSolve function is not behaving properly in this case and I have forwarded an incident report to our developers with the information you provided..." So, WorkingPrecision->Automatic is indeed failing, but the workaround is to manually set any value, then NSolve works fine.


OP UPDATE: Email from WR on 11-21-2016: "In December 2015 you reported an issue with Mathematica wherein NSolve returns bad results. We believe that the issue has been resolved in the current release of Mathematica."


The following code creates two polynomials $q_1$ and $q_2$ in variables $c$ and $p$, then uses NSolve to find roots. But the polynomials don't evaluate to zero at those roots.


pp[n_] := If[n > 0, pp[n - 1]^2 + c, p];
q1 = PolynomialQuotient[pp[4] - p, pp[2] - p, p];
q2 = PolynomialRemainder[D[pp[4], p] - 1, q1, p];

soln = NSolve[{q1 == 0 , q2 == 0}, {c, p}];
Mean[Abs[{q1, q2} /. soln]]

$\{1.07185\times 10^{12},1.12062\times 10^{13}\}$


Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong? I've tried using Eliminate, Solve, and && between my conditions, but I got either no results or wrong results.


OP EDIT: In testing solutions offered below, I found that setting WorkingPrecision to any value, even 10, makes the results come back near the desired zeros. But if I set WorkingPrecision->Automatic then the same wrong results come back. Other users have gotten the same results I did.


I have reported this issue to support@wolfram.com




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?