Skip to main content

dynamic - Dialog notebook with multiple popup menus


I'm trying to create a user interface in Mathematica; the user will enter specified information, it will be processed, and then data will be inserted into a MySQL database. The pieces work independently but when I put them together, odd things happen.


So for example, this works:



Module[{ss, flist},
flist = {"f1", "f2", "f3"};
ss = First[flist];
CreateWindow[DialogNotebook[{
PopupMenu[Dynamic[ss], flist],
ChoiceButtons[{"Enter", "Cancel"}, {DialogReturn[{Print["ss: ", ss]}]}]}]];
];

But the following, which seems to be substantially identical, does not. Specifically, if the user doesn't select something new from the popup menus, the variables never get initialized.


Module[{ss, flist, ci, clist},

flist = {"f1", "f2", "f3"};
clist = {"c1", "c2", "c3"};
ss = First[flist];
ci = First[clist];
CreateWindow[DialogNotebook[{
PopupMenu[Dynamic[ss], flist],
PopupMenu[Dynamic[ci], clist],
ChoiceButtons[{"Enter", "Cancel"}, {DialogReturn[{Print["ss: ", ss, ". ci: ", ci]}]}]}]];
];


What am I missing?



Answer



I suppose the it is expected and it happens because after prompting a DialogNotebook the evaluation of Module is finished and a Temporary attribute of its variables is kicking in.


Why the first example works the second doesn't? I don't know but how a Temporary attribute works is not documented well.






  • One way to make it work is to use kernel blocking dialog (Input, DialogInput, ChoiceDialog) to not finish Module before DialogReturn[]:


    Module[{ss, flist, ci, clist}, 
    flist = {"f1", "f2", "f3"}; clist = {"c1", "c2", "c3"};

    ss = First[flist]; ci = First[clist];

    DialogInput[
    Column@{
    PopupMenu[Dynamic[ss], flist],
    PopupMenu[Dynamic[ci], clist],
    ChoiceButtons[
    {"Enter", "Cancel"},
    {DialogReturn[{Print["ssd: ", ss, ". cid: ", ci]}]}
    ]

    }
    ];
    ]

    Notice the red syntax highlighting over Dynamic[ss] and Dynamic[c1]. It's because it's good habit to not to use Module's variables inside Dynamics inner to them [1]. Here it should not harm but I'd use the second approach anyway:




  • Pass Module's variables to the Dialog and forget about old Module.


    Module[{ss, flist, ci, clist}, 
    flist = {"f1", "f2", "f3"}; clist = {"c1", "c2", "c3"};

    ss = First[flist]; ci = First[clist];

    CreateWindow[ DialogNotebook[ DynamicModule[
    {ssd = ss, cid = ci}
    ,
    Column@{
    PopupMenu[Dynamic[ssd], flist],
    PopupMenu[Dynamic[cid], clist],
    ChoiceButtons[
    {"Enter", "Cancel"},

    {DialogReturn[{Print["ssd: ", ssd, ". cid: ", cid]}]}
    ]
    }
    ]]];
    ]




[1] "Module variables should never appear inside Dynamics ... internal to that Module." - John Fultz


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?