Skip to main content

interoperability - How can multiple null terminated strings be handled in a DLL-function result?


I am trying to connect a classic System Dynamics tool (Vensim DSS) with Mathematica using a DLL that is included in Vensim DSS. Reading though the instructions on how to define DLL functions on how to declare arguments - here strings - I found that if there are [out] strings one should use the .NET class System.Text.StringBuilder.


So applying the advice given will look like this:


(* definitions *)
$maxBufLen = 1000;
strOutput = NETNew["System.Text.StringBuilder", $maxBufLen];

vensimGetInfo = DefineDLLFunction["vensim_get_info", vensimDLL,
"int", {"int", "System.Text.StringBuilder", "int"}];

(* usage *)
infoWanted = 3; bufLen = $maxBufLen;
vensimGetInfo[infoWanted, strOutput, bufLen];
strOuput@ToString[]

Unfortunately this only works properly for a single string and some information will be returned by the DLL function as a series of null terminated strings that is finally ended by a double null. In such a case the above procedure will only return the first string omitting the rest.


What can be done?




Answer



First off, I should mention that Vensim also has a Java interface that you could call using J/Link. The Java signature of this particular function is


static String[] get_info(int infowanted);

so you can see that the different strings are conveniently returned in an array for you.


But you can also do what you want using .NET/Link's DefineDLLFunction. You have to drop down to low-level memory allocations. Declare the buffer that will be filled with the strings as an IntPtr:


vensimGetInfo = DefineDLLFunction["vensim_get_info", vensimDLL, "int", {"int", "IntPtr", "int"}];

Then allocate a buffer of a size large enough to hold all the data:


LoadNETType["System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal"];

buf = Marshal`AllocHGlobal[$maxBufLen];

Call the DLL function:


infoWanted = 3;
numBytes = vensimGetInfo[infoWanted, buf, $maxBufLen];

One way to get the data from buf is to copy it into a .NET array, and then use NETObjectToExpression to convert it into a list of character values.


managedArray = NETNew["System.Byte[]", numBytes];
Marshal`Copy[buf, managedArray, 0, numBytes];
bytes = NETObjectToExpression[managedArray]


bytes will look something like {100, 105, ..., 0, 97, 100, ..., 0, 105, 102, ... 0, 0}. Use whatever method you like to convert these character values into separate strings, such as


FromCharacterCode[DeleteCases[SplitBy[bytes, # != 0 &], {0..}]]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...