Skip to main content

bugs - Factor fails on a simple expression


Bug introduced in 9.0 and fixed in 11.3.0




Consider the following symbolic expression (all the c's are undefined)



exp = (-4*I)*(-1 + c22)*Pi*c1[c7[c12], c7[Glu5], c7[c9[c1312][0]]]*
c13[{c7[Glu5], c7[c9[c1312][0]]}, c10[c25], c10[c24]]*
c8[c11[c15, c6], c5[l, c6]]*
c4[c5[p2, c6], c6].c4[c5[l, c6], c6].c4[c5[p1, c6], c6]*c40[c15]*
c40[c20] - (4*I)*(-1 + c22)*Pi*
c1[c7[c12], c7[Glu5], c7[c9[c1312][0]]]*
c13[{c7[Glu5], c7[c9[c1312][0]]}, c10[c25], c10[c24]]*
c8[c11[c15, c6], c5[p2, c6]]*
c4[c5[p1, c6], c6].c4[c5[p2, c6], c6]*c40[c14]*c40[c15]*
c40[c20] - (4*I)*(-1 + c22)*Pi*

c1[c7[c12], c7[Glu5], c7[c9[c1312][0]]]*
c13[{c7[Glu5], c7[c9[c1312][0]]}, c10[c25],
c10[c24]]*(c8[c5[p1, c6], c5[p1, c6]] -
2*c8[c5[p1, c6], c5[p2, c6]] +
c8[c5[p2, c6],
c5[p2, c6]])*(c4[c5[p1, c6], c6].c4[c5[p1, c6], c6].c4[
c11[c15, c6], c6] -
c4[c5[p2, c6], c6].c4[c5[p1, c6], c6].c4[c11[c15, c6], c6] +
c4[c5[p1, c6], c6].c4[c11[c15, c6], c6]*c40[c14] -
c4[c5[p2, c6], c6].c4[c11[c15, c6], c6]*c40[c14])*c40[c15]*

c40[c20] + (4*I)*(-1 + c22)*Pi*
c1[c7[c12], c7[Glu5], c7[c9[c1312][0]]]*
c13[{c7[Glu5], c7[c9[c1312][0]]}, c10[c25], c10[c24]]*
c8[c11[c15, c6],
c5[p1, c6]]*(c4[c5[p1, c6], c6].c4[c5[p1, c6], c6].c4[c5[p1, c6],
c6] - c4[c5[p1, c6], c6].c4[c5[p1, c6], c6].c4[c5[p2, c6],
c6] - c4[c5[p2, c6], c6].c4[c5[p1, c6], c6].c4[c5[p1, c6],
c6] + c4[c5[p2, c6], c6].c4[c5[p1, c6], c6].c4[c5[p2, c6],
c6] + c4[c5[p1, c6], c6].c4[c5[p1, c6], c6]*c40[c14] -
c4[c5[p1, c6], c6].c4[c5[p2, c6], c6]*c40[c14] -

c4[c5[p2, c6], c6].c4[c5[p1, c6], c6]*c40[c14] +
c4[c5[p2, c6], c6].c4[c5[p2, c6], c6]*c40[c14])*c40[c15]*
c40[c20];

Now try to evaluate the following code


AbsoluteTiming[res1 = Simplify[exp];]
AbsoluteTiming[res2 = Factor[exp];]
Simplify[res1 - res2]

On Mathematica 8 (Linux version) both Simplify and Factor finish in less than 0.1 seconds. However, with all newer versions (9, 10.3, 11.0) that I have, Factor never finishes, while Simplify is still very fast.



To me this looks like a bug/regression, but may be someone has a sensible explanation for this behavior. I have not reported this to WRI so far, but I'm planning to do so.


Edit:


res1 is


(-4*I)*(-1 + c22)*Pi*c1[c7[c12], c7[Glu5], c7[c9[c1312][0]]]*
c13[{c7[Glu5], c7[c9[c1312][0]]}, c10[c25], c10[c24]]*c40[c15]*c40[c20]*
(c40[c14]*c8[c11[c15, c6], c5[p2, c6]]*c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] .
c4[c5[p2, c6], c6] + c8[c11[c15, c6], c5[l, c6]]*
c4[c5[p2, c6], c6] . c4[c5[l, c6], c6] . c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] +
(c8[c5[p1, c6], c5[p1, c6]] - 2*c8[c5[p1, c6], c5[p2, c6]] +
c8[c5[p2, c6], c5[p2, c6]])*

(c40[c14]*(c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] . c4[c11[c15, c6], c6] -
c4[c5[p2, c6], c6] . c4[c11[c15, c6], c6]) +
c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] . c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] . c4[c11[c15, c6], c6] -
c4[c5[p2, c6], c6] . c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] . c4[c11[c15, c6], c6]) -
c8[c11[c15, c6], c5[p1, c6]]*
(c40[c14]*(c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] . c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] -
c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] . c4[c5[p2, c6], c6] - c4[c5[p2, c6], c6] .
c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] + c4[c5[p2, c6], c6] . c4[c5[p2, c6], c6]) +
c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] . c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] . c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] -
c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] . c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] . c4[c5[p2, c6], c6] -

c4[c5[p2, c6], c6] . c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] . c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] +
c4[c5[p2, c6], c6] . c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] . c4[c5[p2, c6], c6]))

res2 is


(-4*I)*(-1 + c22)*Pi*c1[c7[c12], c7[Glu5], c7[c9[c1312][0]]]*
c13[{c7[Glu5], c7[c9[c1312][0]]}, c10[c25], c10[c24]]*c40[c15]*c40[c20]*
(c40[c14]*c8[c5[p1, c6], c5[p1, c6]]*c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] .
c4[c11[c15, c6], c6] - 2*c40[c14]*c8[c5[p1, c6], c5[p2, c6]]*
c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] . c4[c11[c15, c6], c6] +
c40[c14]*c8[c5[p2, c6], c5[p2, c6]]*c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] .

c4[c11[c15, c6], c6] - c40[c14]*c8[c11[c15, c6], c5[p1, c6]]*
c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] . c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] +
c40[c14]*c8[c11[c15, c6], c5[p1, c6]]*c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] .
c4[c5[p2, c6], c6] + c40[c14]*c8[c11[c15, c6], c5[p2, c6]]*
c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] . c4[c5[p2, c6], c6] -
c40[c14]*c8[c5[p1, c6], c5[p1, c6]]*c4[c5[p2, c6], c6] .
c4[c11[c15, c6], c6] + 2*c40[c14]*c8[c5[p1, c6], c5[p2, c6]]*
c4[c5[p2, c6], c6] . c4[c11[c15, c6], c6] -
c40[c14]*c8[c5[p2, c6], c5[p2, c6]]*c4[c5[p2, c6], c6] .
c4[c11[c15, c6], c6] + c40[c14]*c8[c11[c15, c6], c5[p1, c6]]*

c4[c5[p2, c6], c6] . c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] -
c40[c14]*c8[c11[c15, c6], c5[p1, c6]]*c4[c5[p2, c6], c6] .
c4[c5[p2, c6], c6] + c8[c5[p1, c6], c5[p1, c6]]*
c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] . c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] . c4[c11[c15, c6], c6] -
2*c8[c5[p1, c6], c5[p2, c6]]*c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] . c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] .
c4[c11[c15, c6], c6] + c8[c5[p2, c6], c5[p2, c6]]*
c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] . c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] . c4[c11[c15, c6], c6] -
c8[c11[c15, c6], c5[p1, c6]]*c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] . c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] .
c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] + c8[c11[c15, c6], c5[p1, c6]]*
c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] . c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] . c4[c5[p2, c6], c6] +

c8[c11[c15, c6], c5[l, c6]]*c4[c5[p2, c6], c6] . c4[c5[l, c6], c6] .
c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] - c8[c5[p1, c6], c5[p1, c6]]*
c4[c5[p2, c6], c6] . c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] . c4[c11[c15, c6], c6] +
2*c8[c5[p1, c6], c5[p2, c6]]*c4[c5[p2, c6], c6] . c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] .
c4[c11[c15, c6], c6] - c8[c5[p2, c6], c5[p2, c6]]*
c4[c5[p2, c6], c6] . c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] . c4[c11[c15, c6], c6] +
c8[c11[c15, c6], c5[p1, c6]]*c4[c5[p2, c6], c6] . c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] .
c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] - c8[c11[c15, c6], c5[p1, c6]]*
c4[c5[p2, c6], c6] . c4[c5[p1, c6], c6] . c4[c5[p2, c6], c6])

Answer




This bug in Factor has been addressed as of version 11.3.0.


While the example may take some seconds to run, it will not hang


AbsoluteTiming[res1 = Simplify[exp];]
AbsoluteTiming[res2 = Factor[exp];]
Simplify[res1 - res2]

(* {0.060817, Null} *)
(* {13.5211, Null} *)
(* 0 *)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...